Xeon E3 & H67/Q67

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Synthetickiller

Jul 16, 2011
I recently picked up a Xeon E3 1270. This seems like a great cpu for an upgrade to my AMD PII 945 Windows 2008 R2 server rig.

I'll give you a quick list of what the server will do.

Primary functions:
1. File/Printer Server: I stream video/audio, back up files.

2. Back up: This is something I have not addressed yet. I have no raid array. I simply have two drives, one holding data, the other stores data when I manually copy it over. This is not ideal. I've had issues w/ onboard raid in the past, so a raid card is the only option for me.

Secondary (non-essential) fucntions:

3. Hyper-V/VMWare server: Just something I want to be able to use. I have some first hand experience playing around with this.

4. FTP/Webportal: Accessing files/programs from others computers is useful and something else I need to learn.

Would H67 or Q67 fit the bill instead of buying an expensive C202/204 mATX server board?

Comparison of H67/Q67:
http://ark.intel.com/compare/52812,,52807

Sorry for the long thread and thanks for reading!

Edit:

I did a lot more reading. Q67 is that that much cheaper than C202/204. I'm also not sure what I need vs want. ha...

I have 3 options:
1. Keep my server and leave it as a dedicated file/printer server. Keep my the board I have now (ASRock p67 Extreme4) and use that as a Virtual Machines / web portal dedicated rig.

2. Same as 1, but sell the ASRock (it's brand new basically) and buy q67 or C206 (go big or go home).

3. Buy a mATX C204 / Q67 board, sell the AMD, consolidate everything.

I'm kind of on the fense. Maybe someone has a better idea?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Look into something with IPMI 2.0 and KVM-over-IP. C202 or C204 are good choices, you probably would rather have IPMI video than C206 local video.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
If I am correct in saying this... I believe one significant difference between H61/67 and the C202/204/206 chipsets is that the former do not support ECC ram... which is a dealbreaker for a server, IMHO. I wouldn't consider them solely for that reason. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in I'm sure :)

Re: the RAID - have you considered a software array, e.g. mdadm or similar?

Last edited:

Synthetickiller

Jul 16, 2011
Thanks guys.

Got a great deal on a C204 Asus ASUS P8B-M mobo. $120 shipped open box. There's also a $15 rebate. $105 final cost is great. Now I just need some ram.

For basic file serving, is using onboard raid fine? Intel RST is an ok way to go? I just need to be able to stream 1080P over a 1Gbps network without lag.