Xeon E3 12x5 v5/v6 with E3C236D4U - iGPU question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

qwrty

Jul 18, 2018
Hello,

I'm wondering if someone get the same configuration and can tell me if he can use iGPU from OS only for encode/decode with QSV ?
(the goal is to use hw transcoding with Plex)

The point I'm sure, is that the C236 chipset can use integrated graphics instead of C232.

But, I can't find clear answer with my mobo, and manual from asrock is not clear at all.
(http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/E3C236D4U.pdf)

I can read everywhere that the firmware is disabling the Intel iGPU altogether - the Kernel is not detecting it at all, but I would like to know if someone had test it already ?

Maybe i just need to active it via modprobe or something else ?

Thank you :)

qwrty

Jul 18, 2018
Just to let you know :)

We can't use iGPU with these board.

Asrock Support Feedback:

"I checked with RD and we can't add IGFX function on E3C236D4U, because there is no power provide for GFX on this module"

I order SuperMicro X11SSH-F which can use iGPU.

From Asrock Rack E3C236D2I can use iGPU.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
That is... interesing. So basically, you can make a Motherboard without the VRM infrastructure for the IGP part of the die? This is not the type of details that you see every day...

I would understand doing that on a C232 based Motherboard since it is not supposed to use the IGP on the first place, but on a C236 is rather stupid precisely because the big difference compared to the C232 is precisely that it allows to use the IGP.