Xeon E-2288G Work Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Furiak

Feb 17, 2020
Hey all, relatively new here, but seems like a great community based on my perusing!

Build’s Name:
Xeon Work Build
Operating System/ Storage Platform: RedHat or Red Hawk
CPU: Xeon E-2288G
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X11SCA-F
Chassis: Supermicro SC825 TQC-R740LPB
Drives: Intel DC P4101 1.024 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
RAM: NEMIX RAM 32GB Replacement for Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTD DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8
Add-in Cards: 10GbE Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520-DA2/X520-SR2, PCI-E X8 Dual SFP+ Port
Power Supply:
Incl w/ case
Other Bits: CPU HSF?

Usage Profile: Various SW tasks at work however, main purpose was ingesting large quantities of small packets that drove us to needing a high 'single core' clock speed. Ran into an issue using E5-2699v3 when it got upgraded by our server supplier to E5-2699v4 with 2.2G clock vs 2.3G clock on the former.

Other information… I'm looking for advice on the build itself if I'm missing anything because usually my company has bought from HP/Dell/etc for 10x the price but all in one + service. I'm also not sure how to handle the CPU cooling... if the stock HSF will be fine in that chassis with the shroud or if I need something different. Will likely be building 5 of these total.

ARNiTECT

Jan 14, 2020
CPU: I grabbed the E-2278G, which I’m really pleased with. I cool it with a Noctua NH-U12S and it is usually below 30°C. I passed through the iGPU to a VM.
Motherboard: I’m really impressed with the Supermicro X11SCA-F motherboard. I have crammed a lot onto it and with some fantastic help from Supermicro technical support, everything is working as hoped.
Ram: I went for the Samsung 32GB ECC UDIMMs. Not had any issues. I did 4 passes on MemTest86 without errors (about 24hours).
NIC: just received a DAC cable , so will soon get to test my X550-DA2.
Other: check the X11SCA-F onboard usb-c front panel socket. Mine isn’t working. Not a problem now, but I want to get it sorted. here’s the rest of my build.

Reactions: chilipepperz

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
I think the E-2278g is a better value than the 2288g so that's a good idea. That's a great update.

Furiak

Feb 17, 2020
I picked the E-2288G for higher base clock speed. However I'm running into cooling option issues while also fitting it in a 4U or less rack mounted chassis.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
I picked the E-2288G for higher base clock speed. However I'm running into cooling option issues while also fitting it in a 4U or less rack mounted chassis.
The Noctua NH-D9L should handle it easily, and it will fit in a 3U chassis. Even if you ever feel like it’s not getting cool enough to your liking, you could always add another fan to it.

Furiak

Feb 17, 2020
that's kind of what I thought but then I just got a response from Noctua customer service that the NH-D9L can handle ~190W and the CPU is 250W under full load (according to them). I'm not sure where they're getting that load number from -- I can only seem to find a worst case of like 150W on various TDP 95W CPUs...

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
that's kind of what I thought but then I just got a response from Noctua customer service that the NH-D9L can handle ~190W and the CPU is 250W under full load (according to them). I'm not sure where they're getting that load number from -- I can only seem to find a worst case of like 150W on various TDP 95W CPUs...
That’s pretty weird that they said it wouldn’t work, when the Core version (the i9-9900K) is rated as perfectly acceptable with the NH-D9L. Noctua