xeon e-2278G missing from stores

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

y2kbadbug

May 29, 2019
Caldwell, ID
www.shafer.cc
I've been following this for a few months. They were launched it appears but not actually put up for sale. I've been hearing that early August was suppose to be the date for consumer sale, however, that hasn't happened.

Some products I've seen include the new E-2200 series in their workstations:
Lenovo ThinkStation P330 Tower | Workstation power, desktop pricing | Lenovo US
Precision 3541 CAD Workstation Laptop with 9th Gen Intel | Dell USA

This gives me some hopes that it will be released soon.

Kind of wish that laptop came with a 4K screen or I'd get it.

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
I special ordered a Xeon E-2288g for about $530 plus shipping and tax. They indicated 18 days back order on August 2. Currently showing 21 days back ordered.. Still waiting on my Cerberus X case to ship, so not an emergency yet. Aug 2 + 18 days plus 3-4 days shipping means I may see it this week.

I will post any new info.

Reactions: Tha_14

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
I special ordered a Xeon E-2288g for about $530 plus shipping and tax. They indicated 18 days back order on August 2. Currently showing 21 days back ordered.. Still waiting on my Cerberus X case to ship, so not an emergency yet. Aug 2 + 18 days plus 3-4 days shipping means I may see it this week.

I will post any new info.
Still not shipped.. Back order time has increased to 25 days per Provantage. I ordered on Aug 2, but they "verified" the order on Aug 5. This is about 3 weeks ago, so hopefully it will ship someday soon! My case should arrive on Monday, and all other parts of my new build have arrived.

That said, I also ordered Kingston udimm ECC RAM from them on that order. It was delivered about 5 days before the shipping notice was sent.

I am considering canceling the CPU and buying a cheap I3-9xxx chip .

TerryPhillips

May 7, 2019
Still not shipped.. Back order time has increased to 25 days per Provantage...

I am considering canceling the CPU and buying a cheap I3-9xxx chip .
I faced the same issue with Provantage and ordering a E-2176G CPU when it first released. I filled the delivery gap with a I3-8350K CPU that saw a month of usage and has been sitting in the desk drawer ever since. Also have a E-2174G that was utilized for the same purpose. They are available if you're interested...

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
I faced the same issue with Provantage and ordering a E-2176G CPU when it first released. I filled the delivery gap with a I3-8350K CPU that saw a month of usage and has been sitting in the desk drawer ever since. Also have a E-2174G that was utilized for the same purpose. They are available if you're interested...

I may be interested in your chips. PM me with what you want for each. I have a new supermicro ATX MB for now, with IPMI, etc. I have the 64GB ECC RAM, I have the Optane 905 480GB boot disk, I have a pair of WD 4tb NAS drives, cerberus case, Seasonic Titanium PSU....

As for my order placed on Aug 2, it has not shipped.. The product page now lists a 30 day back order. Provantage "verifies" the order which happened on Aug 5 (Monday). 3+ weeks later and no news. Meanwhile my current software project ends Sept 6, so I will need to change the shipping address, or cancel the new 8 core, higher boost clock chip.

I do wonder why these are on preorder AT ALL, due to the lack of supply. Seems more than a bit premature!

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
I still have not received any shipping notice. I had called them a week ago about a change of delivery address, which they can NOT do..
They verified they were still going to ship today.

It will be 6 weeks this Friday since I ordered the part.

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
I called Provantage today and they informed me that the part should (maybe) ship on Sept 26. This is not a firm ship date, just a possible day that they could possibly ship..

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
My Xeon E-2288g allegedly shipped today! Provantage had listed them as IN STOCK, qty 4. I called them, they said they would check with the supplier about my order. No answer after 2.5 hours, so I called back. They said it had shipped, and they would send me the tracking number.

One hour later, yet no tracking number.. I need the tracking number so that I can divert the package to a new address.

It looks like the long wait is over.

copcopcopcop

Feb 2, 2017
My Xeon E-2288g allegedly shipped today! Provantage had listed them as IN STOCK, qty 4. I called them, they said they would check with the supplier about my order. No answer after 2.5 hours, so I called back. They said it had shipped, and they would send me the tracking number.

One hour later, yet no tracking number.. I need the tracking number so that I can divert the package to a new address.

It looks like the long wait is over.
Have you received the CPU?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
It's pretty ridiculous what's going on with Intel honestly.
I have some Dell Precision* 3630's with E-2286G CPUs allegedly arriving on October 1st. The 2200-series CPUs are what pushed the delivery date back. I would think that Dell would be getting some of the first CPUs available. I wonder if the whole "soft launch" (or "failure to launch" :confused:) of these parts is due to the Intel server CPU shortages - the 2200's are apparently launched for workstations but not for servers, despite being the same part.

* This is my first foray into Dell Precision since being badly burned on Precision 530's nearly 20 years ago. Those systems were also delayed waiting for new CPUs, never worked properly, and suffered lots of inexplicable hardware failures (Dell service ended up storing boxes of new power supplies and RAMBUS memory here so they didn't have to wait for parts dispatch when they would fail). Not to mention Microsoft continually shipping updates that completely borked the Windows installs (after one round where Microsoft support had me manually reconstruct the hive, I just gave up and re-imaged systems whenever an update clobbered them). The particular use case for the new systems requires a certified system config from a top-tier manufacturer, or I'd just put systems together myself.

daumas

Sep 20, 2019
I stumbled upon this thread the same day (Tuesday) I ordered my E-2288G from Provantage. Looks like I and RobertC ordered 2 of the 4 that were in stock (and are now out of stock).
Mine arrived today. Unfortunately not everything else for it has arrived... parts are hard to come by. The RAM (16GB VLP sticks) is delayed by a week or two.

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
No.. I did receive a shipping number, it is moving towards my old address. Provantage is unable to change the delivery address 3 weeks prior. So an ex-coworker will reship it to me. I hope to get it this Friday.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I have some Dell Precision* 3630's with E-2286G CPUs allegedly arriving on October 1st. The 2200-series CPUs are what pushed the delivery date back. I would think that Dell would be getting some of the first CPUs available. I wonder if the whole "soft launch" (or "failure to launch" :confused:) of these parts is due to the Intel server CPU shortages - the 2200's are apparently launched for workstations but not for servers, despite being the same part.
Can't comment on the desktop Precisions, but the Mobile Workstations are awesome.

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
No.. I did receive a shipping number, it is moving towards my old address. Provantage is unable to change the delivery address 3 weeks prior. So an ex-coworker will reship it to me. I hope to get it this Friday.
I finally got my CPU. I installed it and it boots with the stock bios, on a MB shipped 2 months ago.
No compatibility issues with the Kingston UDIMMs.

It does not run long as my watercooler has a bad pump.. Should get a new AIO unit on Wednesday.

daumas

Sep 20, 2019
My E-2288G is also finally installed and functioning just fine. The Supermicro 2x16GB ECC RAM finally arrived... X11SCH-LN4F IPMI and BIOS updated successfully. Integrated graphics are working (video encode and decode). Linux now boots in about 5 seconds on the NVME drive compared to 60+ seconds on the old HDD RAID1 setup I am coming from.

If anyone is curious my CPU date of manufacturer was May 2019 and the motherboard had the 2018 BIOS on it. No problems getting it all working and updated.

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
My 2288G is also running well. I finally got a working water cooler for it and it has not crashed in 24 hours of stress tests. CPU Temps max out at about 70c. I am using Kingston ValueRam ECC 4-16G sticks with no issues. MB reports ECC and the correct 2666 speed. No issues with that.

My fan does not throttle at all, and bios has no settings for it. IPMI gives 3 choices, all of which run my fans at 2000 RPM (max). I tried about 4 windows motherboard fan control utils, but they either do not detect fan speed, or do not affect the speed. Not happy with the noise level.. Also, if I plug in a second fan, the watercooler fans start doing 3 seconds loud, then about 10 seconds quiet oscillation loop. Like a square wave.

Anybody know how to control these Supermicro motherboards? I have a X!!SCA-F. The workstation (W) option has bios settings according to my manual. Yay for them..