Xeon e-2100 availability?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Th3NinjaPenguin

Nov 1, 2018
Hey all,

I've been lurking for a while and have searched around finding no info on the availability of these processors. I'm looking to upgrade my freenas machine and want to pick up one of the 6 core xeons with high single thread performance. I can only find them in prebuilts .Is there any information for a release of these in retail or tray?

Thanks!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Perhaps stay tuned to STH over the next few days?

Intel is doing something really strange with this embargo. The E-2100 was launched in July and you can buy workstations with the chips. It is hard but you can find a few loose chips.

There is another embargo for the same, already announced chips coming soon. Followed by a review embargo a few hours later.

If this seems clear as mud, I completely agree. I think when the embargo lifts on server systems with the same CPUs you will see them in the channel more abundantly.

If you saw John's i3-8100 review we already had three SKUs in that piece. I voluntarily agreed to not publish any E-2100 reviews and no E-2100 server systems reviews until after the server embargo.

I can say we have a lot of content lined up and in progress and that if you stay tuned to STH it will go live in the next few days. I normally do not talk about embargos, but this is strange since the parts are already announced and available in workstations.

Reactions: eva2000 and marcoi

Th3NinjaPenguin

Nov 1, 2018
Perhaps stay tuned to STH over the next few days?

Intel is doing something really strange with this embargo. The E-2100 was launched in July and you can buy workstations with the chips. It is hard but you can find a few loose chips.

There is another embargo for the same, already announced chips coming soon. Followed by a review embargo a few hours later.

If this seems clear as mud, I completely agree. I think when the embargo lifts on server systems with the same CPUs you will see them in the channel more abundantly.

If you saw John's i3-8100 review we already had three SKUs in that piece. I voluntarily agreed to not publish any E-2100 reviews and no E-2100 server systems reviews until after the server embargo.

I can say we have a lot of content lined up and in progress and that if you stay tuned to STH it will go live in the next few days. I normally do not talk about embargos, but this is strange since the parts are already announced and available in workstations.

Thank you for the reply. That is a very weird situation. I figured once they were released by intel there would be some reviews somewhere but I've not seen one.

I appreciate the clarification and always check back daily as it is!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
that is indeed strange.. some web hosts are already offer these for rental !
I am aware. I decided with our launch piece I was going to take the opportunity to share how strange this launch is.

And the re-launch and system review embargos are different, less than 24 hours apart. I would not say you have long to wait.

Slowmo

Sep 15, 2018
Ok, so bunch of new boards announced with C246 chipset, but the main question still remains - will CPUs be available as well or we have to wait anouther 3 months until they can be purchased.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You can get the parts in workstations already. The tray parts have been found online and sold in smaller quantities. I think that the supply situation will change over the next few days.

Reactions: malloot

Bernhard Neuhauser

Aug 16, 2018
Seems like cpu's are showing in europe again: E-2176g for 428€ at mindfactory.de

Now i just hope that the Supermicro X11SCA-F also starts getting available at common shops.

Price wise, i think that both components are still far higher than they should be.

Slowmo

Sep 15, 2018
Intel lists E-2176G at $362 recommended price so yes, a little bit more expensive.

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
Birds have told me they moved the launch a couple of months because off the 14nm shortages. These and the embedded parts being relatively volume for Intel they are on the low priority parts list, where laptop, desktop and scalable are on the high priority list. These Xeon E and Xeon M parts are also often used in embedded, where the newest isn't that important and long service life and maintaining the sku for 15 years or so is more important. The Xeon 2176m did ship out in large numbers for laptops, but my Com express vendor had issues getting them. This seems to confirm the bird..

Intel lists E-2176G at $362 recommended price so yes, a little bit more expensive.
Intel list price is ex VAT right? So these are actually good value 426/1.19=358 euro, pretty close to list price is how i see it.

Last edited:

Th3NinjaPenguin

Nov 1, 2018
Sorry for thread necro but wanted to update. The processors are showing up now on sites but the important piece now is motherboards. I emailed ASRock and they will have the c246 ITX motherboards available in February.

I've been waiting on it to update my home freenas system and I know some others are as well.

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
Sorry for thread necro but wanted to update. The processors are showing up now on sites but the important piece now is motherboards. I emailed ASRock and they will have the c246 ITX motherboards available in February.

I've been waiting on it to update my home freenas system and I know some others are as well.
Funny, I emailed Asrock yesterday about availability in the US, since I have had a SM Board on order for nearly a month.

I was able to snag a e-2176g from Tiger Direct relatively quickly, but boards have been tough. The Asus option is available but no IPMI.