Xeon-D vs ATOM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Dear all, I am running PFsense and Windows on VMs in ESXI 6.5 with Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Atom Boards | A1SRM-2758F. I have checked with SM Taiwan and they asked me to send the MB to them for RMA. I also recently encountered a potential good deal of Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Atom Boards | A1SAi-2750F. I was planning to get the latter one to run my PFsense and VM while I send the current board to RMA.

But then I have a second thought. Should I just skip this ATOM boards and then go directly to Xeon-D without worrying about the RMA issue of the board? At this time, which Xeon-D model is the best for PFsense and VM. I am also planning to use this Microserver to play HD movies on my TV through adding a 4K ready graphic card and a DP/HDMI cable.

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Marsh

May 12, 2013
If you ask my opinion on how to spend your money , Xeon-D all the way.;)

Xeon-D would serve your many years to come. Xeon-D board price range varies greatly though,
from few hundreds to over 1K.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Cheaper memory, better single core speeds, 10g ports, more 6g sata ports.
Similar idle power consumption (bit higher at load but also doing more work)
Xeon-D :)