Xeon-D: hold ou for next gen or pull the trigger

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Journer

Jul 13, 2017
I'm building up an esxi/ freenas box and decided to go Xeon D for low power and other soc benefits (10g).

Considering the supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F

I read on STH that the new series of Xeon d will be coming Q3ish. I won't be running a huge amount of VMs, so am looking for something in the 8 core range but with higher clock speeds. Best I can find is 2.2 / 2.7 turbo ; wondering if next gen will have faster clocks. Also thinking quick assist will speed up drive encryption

Debating whether I should hold out or not! All opinions welcome

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Given the fact that Denverton has been crazy delayed, I do not hold my breath for other releases.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Where did you read of a new release ?
It's already 14nm, it's got 10G, it's actually pretty powerful, the core IPC is good, it's used for lots of embedded systems.
C3000 is massive delayed.
If I would guess I would say we won't even see an announcement in 2017

I would shop now I think. Just my feeling anyway.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Oh maybe Patrick knows, they could of course deliver the extra 10g and QA without really changing the core.
New chips would be nice :)
No idea who I could ask that would have any info of that intel tech though. Maybe somebody here has some more insight.

If nobody else has info I would say your probably still good to just proceed unless you really need 4 x 10g for example.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The one you will want is a Skylake-DE SoC. This is a minor Broadwell-DE upgrade mostly for network operators.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The one you will want is a Skylake-DE SoC. This is a minor Broadwell-DE upgrade mostly for network operators.
When when ? Really Q3 ? I would wait if that's possible, of course I am assuming supermicro then make the boards with the features I want, and more sata etc ?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That part supports AVX2 only; does not appear to be Skylake.
Yep good spot. And that's the q3-2017 announced cpu is I Guess if you don't need QAT or 4 x 10g then buy what's available now.
Noted the new 'N' chips seem to be not as fast for given TDP, I Guess that's since the QAT and extra 10G.

nicklebon

Jun 14, 2017
I'm in the same boat as the OP and was waiting to see what the Q3 xeon-d refresh brought to the table. Sadly, I was underwhelmed. That said, the above comment has piqued my interest. I'd love to see a faster Xeon-D offering with SFP+.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Still awhile. Product cycle times are longer for embedded parts.