Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

asmo

Jul 11, 2018
Just to double check... those aren't LRDIMMs right? The Xeon D series doesn't support them.
This is definitely an important note, I bet there are other people that didn't notice this either in this thread....

Turns out I have 1 board that did not work with either and is DOA, but testing the 2nd worked with the micron ( ct32g4rfd4213.36fb1 ) RDIMM but only when in the proper position. The Samsung ( M386A4G40DM0-CPB ) was LRDIMM and did not boot.

Reactions: semidetached

jcrowthe

Jul 30, 2021
In case anyone has troubles getting into BMC like me due to DHCP issues, try reconfiguring it in Bios. Mine was set to a static IP outside my subnet range, and the management NIC was configured to be one of the SFP+ ports. Go to:

Bios -> Server Mgmt -> BMC Network Configuration

From there set the NIC to "Dedicated NIC" (this maps to the one RJ-45 gigabit jack on the server) and set dhcp configuration to "dynamic on next reset". From there reboot and give it 5min to start BMC. You should be able to return to that bios screen to see the IP that was assigned by DHCP.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Did anybody try ESXi 7.0 on these?
With 160-190 offers mentioned as accepted they are starting to look very tempting to grab 4-6 of vmware/vsan lab.

lnxpro

Mar 1, 2016
Oh the temptation :D

Have you measured the wattage from wall with it on low/mid-load? only found from its own management in thread when looking.
And what model/driver is 10g found as in esxi?
i haven't really checked the power consumption but i am sure they are low.
I got 2 of these servers in the rack, one for unraid, this one for vmware, 2 dell N2024 switches and a regular PC in there and average power consumption for the whole rack is about 220W according to my UPS.

the unraid server can go to about 400W when it's booting up with 12x 10TB drives installed while they are all spinning. lol

1631833301880.png

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Has anyone found a source/replacement for the 3.5" drive caddies? I see none of the current listings have them. I was thinking of buying a couple more just as compute nodes since I have one with all drive caddies intact but hoping to find more drive trays regardless.

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
Has anyone found a source/replacement for the 3.5" drive caddies? I see none of the current listings have them. I was thinking of buying a couple more just as compute nodes since I have one with all drive caddies intact but hoping to find more drive trays regardless.
I haven't, but would be curious if others have. I think I had found the part number ( 1HY9ZZZ049E) reached out to a number of resellers/partners and even Quanta to see if I could source them. I never got a response from anyone. I'm guessing its likely due to volume, I offered to purchase a few dozen as I figured there would be a number of us here that could use them.

megalo

Apr 12, 2020
Has anyone done any benchmarking of the front 2.5" slots? Trying to figure out if it's worth going for a "fast" SAS SSD.

Dec 19, 2020
@BLinux just to point out, you have the D51PH expander, so make sure you use the firmware at QuantaGrid D51PH-1ULH | 1U Storage Server | QCT.io. I'd just boot UEFI, with storecli.efi and the .fw files on a FAT32 flash stick.
Does anyone happen to have a copy of the BIOS and BMC updates for D51PH-1ULH that used to be on the QCT site? They removed those sections of their Download Center.

The latest still on the site is S2P_3B04, which is part of the E5-2600 v4 (Broadwell) CPU Upgrade Package.

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
After who knows how long, maybe a year or something similar, I power cycled my server and disconnected it completely from power as I arranged my rack again. After booting the fans didn't slow down but kept spinning around 14krpm, and bmc reported their speed value as normal with that rpm. Well, boots, power cycles nor nothing felt like helping.

I updated the bios (is there a newer one, I updated to 3A14 I think even though bmc reports 3A12.02?), and that fixed this in my case. Now bmc reports normal fan speeds with approx 4000 rpm speeds, and the server is quite silent.

I have maybe 8 spinning disks and power consumption is maybe 130 watts perhaps?

Overall, I've been quite content and satisfied with these machines. I'd like the new firmware to be available, but old ones work, too.

Dec 19, 2020
storcli.efi /c0 /eXX download src=S1Q_LSI_FW_v1.0.8.fw
This worked for me as well for a D51PH-1ULH, very helpful.

In case it helps anyone else:
1. Download Storcli from Broadcom's website and 12G-EXPANDER_FW-Broadcom_1.0.8.zip from Quanta's website.
2. Copy storcli.efi along with the contents of 12G-EXPANDER_FW-Broadcom_1.0.8.zip onto a FAT32 USB stick.
3. Boot into the board's EFI shell.
4. Identify the expander number with storcli /c0 /eall show. It should be number 0, i.e., e0 for the next step.
5. Run storcli.efi /c0 /e0 download src=S2PH_LSI_FW_v1.08.fw.

Before updating the expander's firmware, I had already updated the D51PH-1ULH's BMC and BIOS from the Broadwell package. I did this with a SAS3008 installed, with IR firmware. I updated the HBA to IT firmware after updating the expander.

Reactions: Unlogic and tjk

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
After who knows how long, maybe a year or something similar, I power cycled my server and disconnected it completely from power as I arranged my rack again. After booting the fans didn't slow down but kept spinning around 14krpm, and bmc reported their speed value as normal with that rpm. Well, boots, power cycles nor nothing felt like helping.

I updated the bios (is there a newer one, I updated to 3A14 I think even though bmc reports 3A12.02?), and that fixed this in my case. Now bmc reports normal fan speeds with approx 4000 rpm speeds, and the server is quite silent.

I have maybe 8 spinning disks and power consumption is maybe 130 watts perhaps?

Overall, I've been quite content and satisfied with these machines. I'd like the new firmware to be available, but old ones work, too.
Hello @fiftynine. I've read your post. I've recently Quanta D51PH-1ULH, however, I am locked out of the BMC. When you reflashed the BIOS did the BMC password default to admin? If so do you still have the BIOS files? Quanta has EOL the unit and removed all the related downloads.

Thank you.

Reactions: Samir

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
Hello @fiftynine. I've read your post. I've recently Quanta D51PH-1ULH, however, I am locked out of the BMC. When you reflashed the BIOS did the BMC password default to admin? If so do you still have the BIOS files? Quanta has EOL the unit and removed all the related downloads.

Thank you.
Hi,

I don't sadly remember as I have a KVM connected to my device, so I don't in fact keep this particular machine's BMC connected to my lan unless there's something funky going on - and while I understand it's bad practice, I have kept the default usernames/passwords for this reason on it. And thus, I don't recall whether they were defaulted, sorry.

In this post quoted below, you can find at least new-ish releases of the firmware files :)

I zipped up everything I found: two revs of the BIOS and BMC, the expander FW, and both IT and IR FW for the SAS controller. My expander identified itself as the "S2PH" model, so I used the "Broadcom" file.

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
Hi,

I don't sadly remember as I have a KVM connected to my device, so I don't in fact keep this particular machine's BMC connected to my lan unless there's something funky going on - and while I understand it's bad practice, I have kept the default usernames/passwords for this reason on it. And thus, I don't recall whether they were defaulted, sorry.

In this post quoted below, you can find at least new-ish releases of the firmware files :)
Thank you very much. I will give it a go. Cheers.

Gongman66

Oct 22, 2022
Oh no, I really goofed. After flashing the BMC I realized this is for the SD1Q, not the D51PH! This one comes up as not passing the self-test and my processors are screaming hot. It did reset the password to admin/admin, so we know this. Does anyone have the BMC firmware for D51PH-1ULH? I will repost. Live and learn.