Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
Right now, mine is running w10 pro x64 #1909 with drivers/windows updates current.
The expander firmware has not been updated.
Firmware for the mezz 3008 was updated via windows
UAC was turned off and had installed LSI Storage Authority under windows to apply firwmare/bios for the controller.
Popped in 4x DT01ACA3's and 2x ST95005620AS.
A power down and both a reboot all the drives show.
Did not really test prior to this update, but they seem to be working thus far without incident.
The bios is still 'as it shipped' as-is the expander/backplane.

At this p0int if it works am in the camp of leave it be.

Also did order a dual GBE mezz card. All of my clients are wireless so the 10gbe isn't needed.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Right now, mine is running w10 pro x64 #1909 with drivers/windows updates current.
The expander firmware has not been updated.
Firmware for the mezz 3008 was updated via windows
UAC was turned off and had installed LSI Storage Authority under windows to apply firwmare/bios for the controller.
Popped in 4x DT01ACA3's and 2x ST95005620AS.
A power down and both a reboot all the drives show.
Did not really test prior to this update, but they seem to be working thus far without incident.
The bios is still 'as it shipped' as-is the expander/backplane.

At this p0int if it works am in the camp of leave it be.

Also did order a dual GBE mezz card. All of my clients are wireless so the 10gbe isn't needed.
Did you use the lsi fw from the quanta site or grab lsi updates directly for the 3008 card?

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
Did you use the lsi fw from the quanta site or grab lsi updates directly for the 3008 card?
I have both and used the quanta.

Just installed WS 2019 and had to online the prior drives from w10, they all here now.
My hope is to bring over 8x8tb reds(sata), 2x2tb(sata) sammys, then 4x 1.6tb SAS. If this works, then prob going to buy another one of these guys.

Am a windows guy, so the thought is to use a second unit as a backup target.

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
I'm seeing a weird issue with my server. That is: right after the server is shutdown, no matter is a graceful shutdown from OS or power button shutdown, the two PSU fans start screaming.
I tried to leave them as-is and after hours those PSU fans are still up and running happily, at around 9K+ RPM. I also tried different versions of BMC and BIOS, all got same result. Maybe I should ask seller about it.
Does anyone have experience of handling this funny problem? Thanks in advance.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
PSU fans are still up and running
If noone has a good answer Ill put a guess in here. There might be a PLD component on the board to handle misc-signals. Power handover between PSUs, easy upgrades of BMC and a variety of signals you didnt find any good way to control from anywhere else. And since this is a very specialized platform maybe noone has reported errors and making sure that the code is updated in the PLD. Or perhaps they dont even have remote upgrade of this component. ( Or even there might not be one. Hehe ).

Reactions: YuanyangX

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
Could anyone please make a tour of BMC? Thanks in advance.
What would you like to see? I can slap together a gif and go through each menu, etc. The first 30 seconds or so I whipped through it seemed rather OK. Sensors, console redirection, power control.

Currently all the sas slots on back plane are filled with misc 2.5" sata drives. I put then into various storage spaces and now going to put them through their paces.

At console, I note the mouse skips a lot but via an RDP session it seems OK. *shrug*

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
What would you like to see? I can slap together a gif and go through each menu, etc. The first 30 seconds or so I whipped through it seemed rather OK. Sensors, console redirection, power control.

Currently all the sas slots on back plane are filled with misc 2.5" sata drives. I put then into various storage spaces and now going to put them through their paces.

At console, I note the mouse skips a lot but via an RDP session it seems OK. *shrug*
Just a few screens - homepage, sensors, power page, console page is enought I think.

Thanks!

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
I finally got sometime to play with it. After running storcli.efi /c0 /eXX download src=S1Q_LSI_FW_v1.0.8.fw, I got a success reported.
I think the tricky part would be:
1. Run upgrade without any disk connected.
2. Run upgrade in EFI shell instead of any OS. I think it will limit device mounting or something.

I only put single 1TB SATA (ST1000DM003) to test the disk cage from cold start. And the disk shows up correctly. I'm considering to move the SAS3108 from the other server to this one to get better RAID performance.
Attached a screenshot to show the FW version numbers.

Wish your upgrade will be same smooth as mine.
Not sure what magic you were able to use, but I'm getting the same errors as trying via a loaded OS. I disconnected ALL HDD and SSD's, and getting the same error, tried using Enc 12 and Enc 252, which are the one two that are listed.

Any other ideas? Did you screen cap your output? If so, can you share the exact steps?

Attachments

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
Not sure what magic you were able to use, but I'm getting the same errors as trying via a loaded OS. I disconnected ALL HDD and SSD's, and getting the same error, tried using Enc 12 and Enc 252, which are the one two that are listed.

Any other ideas? Did you screen cap your output? If so, can you share the exact steps?
That’s really weird... How about let me find a time and capture a short video for you. I need one day or two since weekend is over.
BTW, may I ask do your server PSU fans still running loudly after shutdown?

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
I am going to reach out to the seller. One of the spots for PSU is bad, if I move the 'bad' PSU, it works. CMOS battery is also toast.

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
I am going to reach out to the seller. One of the spots for PSU is bad, if I move the 'bad' PSU, it works. CMOS battery is also toast.
My CMOS battery is also dead. I cut the shrink wrap open then used few electrical tape to wrap a new battery with pins.
I should talk to seller about the PSU instead of digging around myself.

Reactions: scobar

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
1U delta fans = fail for me
That's why all the loud stuff is outside in the garage.

My CMOS battery is also dead. I cut the shrink wrap open then used few electrical tape to wrap a new battery with pins.
I should talk to seller about the PSU instead of digging around myself.
Did you also loose a PSU? Was it the unit located on the outside? My fallback was to solder the leads onto a spare battery, really I just want a working box. If this didn't have the PSU issue, I'd just solder the leads to a new batt, heat shrink it and keep truckin'.

The seller indicated they would get another out today, I had asked for them to provide a return label for this unit.

I did pop the heat sink off, that paste is pretty crusty and may want a vac to ensure nothing gets onto the MOBO.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
So, I ordered 8 of these...4 arrived damaged and looked like they just shipped damaged units since the shipping boxes were fine. They shipped replacements, and 2 of the replacements were also bad...so they shipped 2 more.

The CMOS bat is dead in 7 of them so far, not sure if this is something I can just replace or not/find the part.

The expander won't upgrade on any of them, so not sure how the earlier poster was able to get his updated. I am using the 3108 Mezz card, which I swapped out for the 3008 card.

YuanyangX

May 17, 2019
WA, USA
Did you also loose a PSU? Was it the unit located on the outside?
The PSUs can work. I had swapped them in different combinations, single on slot 1, single on slot 2, dual, etc. All combinations can boot together with 10x3.5 SATA disks without any probloem. It's just weird that PSU(s) keep on after shutdown...
Waiting for seller's response.

The expander won't upgrade on any of them, so not sure how the earlier poster was able to get his updated.
I used "007.1316.0000.0000" storcli (download from Broadcom Inc. | Connecting Everything) and I only got one enclosure listed when calling storcli /c0 /eall show. I'm capturing some screens while re-running the firmware download for expander. But I don't want to downgrade the FW first then upgrade FW as it feels risky. I will update the screenshots later in this thread.

Update:
I've uploaded a short video captured by console. Hope you don't mind watching it on YouTube.

Last edited:

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
So, I ordered 8 of these...4 arrived damaged and looked like they just shipped damaged units since the shipping boxes were fine. They shipped replacements, and 2 of the replacements were also bad...so they shipped 2 more.
Pictures of damage, please.

We are considering taking full rack (45 pieces) of these.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Is there an option to boot via UEFI IPv6? It might not be enabled by default, but there is a switch for that in bios.

^^ I can see UEFI IPv4 in the video above.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
The PSUs can work. I had swapped them in different combinations, single on slot 1, single on slot 2, dual, etc. All combinations can boot together with 10x3.5 SATA disks without any probloem. It's just weird that PSU(s) keep on after shutdown...
Waiting for seller's response.

I used "007.1316.0000.0000" storcli (download from Broadcom Inc. | Connecting Everything) and I only got one enclosure listed when calling storcli /c0 /eall show. I'm capturing some screens while re-running the firmware download for expander. But I don't want to downgrade the FW first then upgrade FW as it feels risky. I will update the screenshots later in this thread.

Update:
I've uploaded a short video captured by console. Hope you don't mind watching it on YouTube.
Thanks for the video!! Still not working for me, see attached pics. I swapped the 3008 for the 3108 card, not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I tried with and without drives in the system, same error. The debug log is also useless, just says error=45.

This is across 8 systems.

Attachments