Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Two questions:

1. Anyone know what raid card these things take with links?
2. Suggestions on 16gb compat dimms?
I'm pretty sure these will take a standard OCP SAS mezz card.
Look for "LSI 3008 OCP" or some variation of that.

Reactions: Samir

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
A quick word of warning on these. They are 35" deep. Make sure your rack will fit them. My APC one at home definitely will not, nor will my colo. For comparison, a Supermicro 846 chassis is 26", so it's quite the difference.

It's proprietary. Rear IO is a giveaway and it uses mezzanine cards per the specifications.

This was about to be my next question, wondering how deep they were.. Need to see if my rack can hold it.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
If anyone has a Kill-a-watt or something, can you record power usage at idle with these things? I'm tempted to build a storage cluster to replace my single 24 bay supermicro with an E5 in it, I know xeon-D's are lower power, but curious as to total system draw.

With or without drives is fine. Thanks!

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
If anyone has a Kill-a-watt or something, can you record power usage at idle with these things? I'm tempted to build a storage cluster to replace my single 24 bay supermicro with an E5 in it, I know xeon-D's are lower power, but curious as to total system draw.

With or without drives is fine. Thanks!
Very likely that their idle numbers would be somewhere between 25%-50% of the figures in the pdf shared by @longbowch (page 25). These aren't miracle devices, they still use power, especially when fully configured.
In the same deck, page 13, they claim an average power consumption delta of 40w per node, which isn't nothing, but isn't enough to warrant an upgrade in my book...
Still cool devices though! Wish I could make use of them...

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
Quick follow-up, I received the server today but it was damaged in shipping. I notified the seller and he's sending a replacement out today. System has an internal LSI 3008 mezzanine card, dual SFP+ mezzanine card, dual power supplies, CPU, no RAM. I don't have a watt meter but will see if I can get a rough idea of power consumption once I receive the replacement and get it racked. Meanwhile, here are some pics of the inside.

IMG_8087.jpeg IMG_8085.jpeg IMG_8086.jpeg

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Quick follow-up, I received the server today but it was damaged in shipping. I notified the seller and he's sending a replacement out today. System has an internal LSI 3008 mezzanine card, dual SFP+ mezzanine card, dual power supplies, CPU, no RAM. I don't have a watt meter but will see if I can get a rough idea of power consumption once I receive the replacement and get it racked. Meanwhile, here are some pics of the inside.

View attachment 13327 View attachment 13328 View attachment 13329
What CPU does it come with, or should that be No CPU or CPU heatsink?

tjk

Mar 3, 2013

View attachment 13327 View attachment 13328 View attachment 13329
Thanks! Can you take some pics of the back IO of the server? Also of the HDD treys that came with it? Are they screw-less?

Reactions: Yarik Dot

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
(obligatory longtime lurker, first time poster)
Wonder what the noise would be like on these? Comparable to an PE R610?
So it turns out they are not that loud (at least without any load and no disks). 58-60 db in front and 70-ish db in back at idle. 75-80db with full fan spool-up during boot. I could live with one of these in a closet or, even under my desk for a bit if need be.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Maybe someone can buy one and convert to a short depth 2U instead. And make a build guide. Please? ;)

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
Thanks for the pics! Is there an internal part of the chassis that slides out to replace drives in a running system, or do you have to power off/remove top cover/replace hdd?
I haven't set this one up (except to validate basic specs). The server was slightly damaged during shipping and the seller has shipped a replacement that should arrive friday. Once I get it, I'll set it up and can get rough power usage and answer any further questions (I've already packed the original for return). For what it's worth, the drive tray doesn't physically disconnect from the SAS controller when it's slid out so disks should be hot-swappable. Overall, this would be a perfect high density file storage system if it wasn't three feet deep.

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
Maybe someone can buy one and convert to a short depth 2U instead. And make a build guide. Please? ;)
Send me $475 and I'll do it! ;-)

For what it's worth, this would not be difficult. the case is split where the drive tray assembly meets the "motherboard" assembly. You can see that detail in the "IMG_8085.jpeg" picture I posted yesterday (look for the rivets in the side walls near the SAS expander heat sink at the top of the photo and the empty fan slot at the bottom of the photo. The two assemblies are held together by the rails of the internal drive sled and a couple of rivets in the top and bottom. One could easily shorten the top cover and fabricate a front bezel that would match those rivet holes. This would leave you with only 2 2.5" drive slots and the onboard m.2 for storage; you would also have to provide some sort of cooling for the CPU and memory but it is a very feasible mod without much work. I'll send more pics of details when I get the replacement system this weekend in case it's not clear.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
This would leave you with only 2 2.5" drive slots
Well.. I meant keeping all the drives accessible actually. Or perhaps just 8pcs 3.5". To make the two 1U parts of equal length.
So, cutting the chassis in half and stacking them to 2U instead. Then 3D print a new front and a new back for mounting 2U fans.