Xeon D-1508/1518 able to handle 10Gbps?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scline

Apr 7, 2016
Hello lovely forum!

I want to look at replacing my FreeNAS motherboard to something less power hungry. Currently my system is a dual processor L5520 based system with about 74 or so GB or RAM. I plan to have this motherboard JUST serve files and move my Plex/BTSync services to a dedicated VM on a more powerful box.

The question I have is does a D-1508 have enough power to server 10Gbps of content (burst)? Most of the higher-throughput traffic will reside in NFS for Vmware backups. I expect normal use to reach 2-3Gbps.

Supermicro X10SDV-2C-TP8F Embedded Processor
Supermicro X10SDV-4C+-TP4F Embedded Processor

At the moment I am itching towards the 1518 model, I ultimately want to reduce power usage. Currently just the Motherboard I have is eating 170Watts. Is there a large power difference at both those processors near-idle?

edit: fixed links

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yes. Plenty of umph for 10gbe as long as you are not driving small packets. For a NAS you'll almoat always be pumping pretty close to max sized frames - and if you set up jumbo frames on your network it will run smooth as silk.

Remember - for most high speed network tasks - it is not raw bandwidth that will stress your cpu. It is packets per second (pps).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: scline