Xeon 8272CL Maximum Memory

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kellenw

Jan 15, 2022
I'm going to give this a shot and see what happens. I will be testing a 24 DIMM system (12 per socket) with dual Xeon 8272CL CPUs (stated compatible by vendor), 12 LRDIMM 64GB (6 per socket) and 12 512GB Intel Optane Persistent Memory DIMMs (6 per socket). This will be 768GB of RAM, 6,144GB of persistent memory. That's a total of 6,912GB total memory across the two sockets (3,456GB per socket). Both RAM and Persistent Memory counts towards a CPU's max memory, so this will be an interesting test. I'll report back around the middle of next week. Hopefully it works out. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NablaSquaredG

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I had the same question when playing with the optane dimms. I have both ice lake systems which use the 200 series and an 8280L (pmem 100 series) on order. the L is supposed to support 4.5TB but another limiting factor is the mb.

I ordered the supermicro x11spa-t which has 12 slots for a single cpu. this is supposed to max out at 3TB. I plan on putting 6 normal dimms and 6 512GB optane pmem100 dimms.

the original question in this post was regarding the 8272CL which can be found for pretty cheap. I also could not find any info from intel regarding that sku. The "L" for the cascade lake xeons is supposed to represent the 4.5TB of memory. The CL seems to come from the custom oem market (usually from China) and was not able to confirm if they would support the large memory feature that the other "L" skus that are listing on Intel's ark.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the original question in this post was regarding the 8272CL which can be found for pretty cheap. I also could not find any info from intel regarding that sku
meaning of 'C' suffix in 2nd gen scalable
intels answer: "these are confidential SKUs for select customers..."

as usual no support for confidential CPU. ask the OEM they come from for specs.