Xeon 8259CL

Chris Glazebrook

Jan 7, 2017
Has anyone purchased this CPU and got it working? I have tried on an HP and a Quanta server with no luck. Trying to see if the CPU is just bad. I know this is a custom AWS CPU. I actually deployed an AWS instance that uses this CPU and have verified the CPUID is the same as the other Second Gen scalable Xeons. Curious what other flags there could be for this CPU that are causing it not to POST.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'd guess microcode not in the firmware on your motherboard. That has been common for many generations. Sometimes smaller vendors have extra microcode.

Chris Glazebrook

Jan 7, 2017
I can see the microcode for my CPUID in the BIOS file I've used since everything from the same family of CPUs seem to use the same CPUID, even my AWS custom chip. The AWS instance showed a custom microcode revision I could not find anywhere else though, but I'm not sure the CPU would require the custom firmware to work? Especially since the person I was able to buy this from said they test on an Asus motherboard and it works there.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
I talked about this before, these "Amazon type" CPUs need the PWM to have supported programming to work. Now Asrockrack boards, some Gigabyte boards and new version of Supermicro X11DAI/X11DPI support them.

And 8259L/8259CL are great CPUs, they're only 10% slower than 8280. Just a little selective about motherboards.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
@111alan How does one check for it? I own a OCP Project Olympus motherboard, does it support a PWM programming? (datasheet)
Only way to check whether it supports the cpu or not is to plug a CPU in and test. Those CPUs uses the same microcodes as regular ones so BIOS is not an issue.

The PWM controllers on all C62x boards I saw are either ISL or TI controllers, both are reprogrammable by desoldering it and programming it with the corresponding programmer, but the programmers(or development kits) are pretty expensive. I suggest you to contact the motherboard manufacturer to see if they can help, if not, getting a new board is usually more economical.

There may be a possibility to use GPIO or a SPI programmer instead, if you're familiar with these kind of stuff you can look into the PWM controller's datasheet to see if you can do these with jumper wires. I never studied these methods though, too hard for me.

Last edited:

barmalej

May 31, 2019
Any updates on this? Could anyone confirm what Amazon cpus are supported on X11DAI/X11DPI?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Any updates on this? Could anyone confirm what Amazon cpus are supported on X11DAI/X11DPI?
work NOT on stock X11DAI/X11DPI.
there are modified(VRM upgrade) supermicro boards available on taobao(very expensive)
the boards can be updated without desoldering anything, but we don't know what data is changed.

the following run 8124M/8259L/8259CL out of the box.
ASRock EPC621D8A
ASRock EP2C621D12 WS
Gigabyte MD71-SU0
Gigabyte MD71-HB0