X9SRL-F heatsink for 1U

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
i got a x9srl-f and then suddently noticed that they don't offer any 1u heatsinks :(
http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/brochure/x9_HeatSink_Compatibility.pdf

googled this pdf http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/itemintelligence/SuperMicro/X9SRL_F1403675676660.pdf
Question:
What is the heatsink part number for my X9SRL Series motherboard?
Answer:
For the 1U passive heatsink, ask for SNK-P0047P...
P0047P

i googled again and there's a complete mess with the results.
this one is square and doesn't seem to fit:
Supermicro SNK-P0047P 1U Passive CPU Heat Sink
some other shops showing narrow heatsink that seem to fit
SNK-P0047P Supermicro 1U Passive CPU Heatsink for X9 UP/DP Systems - Server Fans & Heatsinks - SuperBiiz.com
Supermicro SNK-P0047P 1U Passive Heatsink, LGA 2011 ( Square ILM) - Newegg.com
same mess on ebay:
P0047P | eBay

what is wrong with you people?...

anyway, i opened another pdf:
https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/brochure/X9_Heatsinks_socketR.pdf
and from what i see, i guess that SNK-P0047PS and SNK-P0047PSC should probably fit since they are made for e5-2600 (i need it for e5-1600 v2 series) and they're "Narrow ILM".

so i'm asking, maybe someone here have used this board in 1u case, what heatsink is compatible?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looking at that board it is indeed a narrow ILM. Here is the guide on Square v. Narrow ILM Narrow ILM v. Square ILM - LGA2011 Heatsink Differences - ServeTheHome

Here is a search for 1U Narrow ILM options

I have used the Supermicro SNK-P0047PS the Dynatron R31 and the Dynatron T318

The Supermicro is the least expensive. The Dynatrons use vapor chamber designs and the T318 is all copper.

The question is, would you rather spend $10 more and get an all copper vapor chamber cooler or save $10 and get the Supermicro version.

Reactions: DaveP

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
i don't know, should i? :)
all copper is better of course, but is it necessary for 130w tdp cpu?
p0047ps is not enough?
i plan to use it in supermicro 512 case with two dual fans

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Ya SM support is very hit or miss for answering questions like this. Sounds like you're well on your way with the Dynatron, but if for whatever reason you end up back in this situation I can verify the SNK-P0047PS works on the X9SRL-F without issues.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The fact that the heatsink/MB/Chassis combo is not on SMs compatibility matrix (above) doesn't mean it doesn't work - it really just means SM hasn't officially configured a system with it, given it a part number, and run it through their manufacturing test procedure. The matrix lists combo's that SM actually sells as a package.

There is some humor here. The X9SRi-f and X9SRL-f are both pretty much the same board with different components populated (slight differences in the SAS/SATA port config, and teh X9SRi has a few of the PCIe sockets unpopulated). Yet one is listed a compatible with 1U using the P0047PS and one is not. Ultimately its a bit like using the HCL for selecting memory - if its on the HCL then SM will guarantee it works - but if its not on the HCL does not mean it will not work..

Again - as @Aester and i can both confirm - this heatsink works great on the X9SRL-f.