X9SCM-F PCI slots not working...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I just got a X9SCM-F with a i3-3220T. the system powers on fine, but of the 4 PCI slots, I can only seem to use 1 of them. They are labelled slot 4, 5, 6, 7, with 4 at the edge of the board and 7 near the CPU. When I put a Dell H310 HBA card in slot 4, it works fine, when I move it to slot 5 or 6, it doesn't show up and the heartbeat LED on the card doesn't flash. Currently can't use slot 7 as my heatsink is in the way.

Bios is 2.2, which is latest.

Did i get a bad board or is there some quirk with this?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
just following up, after email discussions with Supermicro tech support, they believe this board has an issue with IvyBridge CPUs, which ends up not being able to use 3 of the 4 PCI-E slots. they've suggested that i use a SandyBridge based CPU to see if that may allow the PCI-E slots to work. they will not be releasing any BIOS update to fix this issue as product is EOL.

madmalkav

Dec 28, 2022
I know I'm resurrecting an incredibly old thread, but this seems to be the only place on the whole internet where clear information about this problem is provided.

Since this post some BIOS updates have been published by SuperMicro, but I still have this issue. Have anyone here tried if this is working better for them? I use a Xeon E3-1230V2 on this board, by the way.