x9scm-f + multiple controllers - no NIC traffic but IPMI is fine

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I'v recently moved to my new sc846 case, and all went well up untill I tried to add an additional disc controller.

Used to have an m1015, which i switch to a 9201-8i that worked well aswell till just now, when I added the m1015 back into the case and tried to launch vmware. Vmware doesnt seem to want to move traffic over the nic. It wont grab an ip from my dhcp server - changed it from static to check.

Any ideas? - im on 2.0b bios and newest firmware for the ipmi.

9201-8i is current loaded in the slot furthest away from the cpu, tried putting the m1015 into the slot closest to the cpu. Not sure if it makes any difference.

Gotta leave for business trip in the morning, and gf will most likely slaughter me if its not back up for her current reality tv trip :/

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
The X9SCM has 4 PCI-E slots.

The 2 slots closest to the CPU, slot 7 and 6, are PCI-E 8x 2.0/3.0 ( depending on the CPU)
The 2 slots furtest from the CPU, slot 5 and 5, are PCI-E 8X physical but 4x electrical both are 2.0
Also slot 4, the one furthest from the CPU, hangs of the PCH via the DMI link. Slots 5,6 and 7 are directly from the CPU

So slot 6 or 7 would be ideal for the HBA.
As fas as the network problems go. I had nic order change on me when I added an additional NIC to the server.
You are still seeing the NIC's in VMWare? otherwise id check to see if you maybe bumped one of the NIC enable / disable jumpers.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Sorry, its the X9SCL-F - with 3 pci-e connectors.

I'll try and go down to have a look at the jumpers etc.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Im seeing no bytes/packets sent in vmware when checking the esxi shell .. seems bit odd? - physical nic seems allright, its possiblt to reach the ipmi, which runs via that exact nic.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Just an update.

Was away on business for a few days. Picked up a new motherboard to replace what I thought was a faulty one.

When I got home, i thought about reinstalling/upgrading esxi and did so just to check.. and well.. it worked :)

So i'v imported my vm's and they are humming along again.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
AFAIK the 82579LM controller is per default not supported by ESXI, have you installed the separate driver?
What I am trying to get at is perhaps you used the other NIC w. the 82574L controller that is (AFAIK) supported by ESXI.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Have been using both ports + the ipmi seperately earlier. And all in one port aswell.