X9SCM-F, E3-1240 V2, 8GB in a SM 2U chassis $200+$35shp

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Just the CPU+MB+RAM alone would be about the listed price and getting the 2U chassis and 400W power supply for the cost of shipping. Don't have any experience with seller but seems to be one of the large and reputable ebay sellers. Not sure if related to The Server Store / IT_Mart or a different one. 5 available at the time of posting

Supermicro 2U Server X9SCM-F E3-1240 V2 3.4ghz Quad Core / 8GB / No HDD | eBay

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
For reference: I have a 1U E3-1230 v1 SuperMicro 2' from my head on the test bench behind me and can barely hear it on... quieter than a room fan, a little higher pitched though.

Reactions: Son of Homer

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
Thanks. Do you expect a 2U to be quieter than a 1U? I will also have this on a bench or the floor, close to my desk.

I am moving back to sitting on the fence.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
SuperMicro 2U SC216 - Can be near silent if you use "SQ" power supplies, and SM 2U HSF... the intel HSF (2u for that matter) squeels SM not bad at all. Regarding the 2U in this thread I don't know anything/enough to estimate how loud it is in a 2U.

I can say I've been surprised by 1U and 2U sound levels, especially after upgrading to latest BIOS putting fans in standard mode, etc... I have some Intel 1U that are E3, and dual prox e5 and they too are similar sound levels/quiet.

Also, some SuperMicro BIOS will make 'v1' chips ramp up the fans more than v2. I've seen this on E3 and E5 lineups, and it becomes an issue (if you care about sound) when dealing with a multi-node system where one node may cause all fans to go up due to how SM did their BIOS/FAN rules.

1 big 'gotcha'... if you go under load it will get loud, very loud :)

Reactions: Son of Homer