X9SCM-F doesn't work with LSI SAS9211-8I?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

teq

Mar 22, 2012
Hi,

This is my first posting in this forum, so please bear with me.

I just recently bought a Supermicro X9SCM-F. Unfortunately, it seems that this MB doesn't work with my LSI SAS9211-8I SAS/SATA controller which used to work without any problems in my older X8SIL-F MB. While the controller seems to initialize fine during initialization, the HDs that are connected to it don't show up.

Has anyone been successful with this MB together with the LSI SAS9211-8I? Any special UEFI settings I need to adjust?

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Cheers,
teq

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Did you use the cable before and it worked.
Reason I ask is, could it be the reverse break out cable ? (you need forward cable)

Also make sure the drives and the controller have their cables connected properly
The cable on the LSI9211 shouid not come out when you pull on it, only when you press the tab.

The LSI9211 should need nothing adjusted at all in the BIOS (system and LSI)
The drives should passthrough with no user input.

Hope this helps

teq

Mar 22, 2012
Did you use the cable before and it worked.
Reason I ask is, could it be the reverse break out cable ? (you need forward cable)

Also make sure the drives and the controller have their cables connected properly
The cable on the LSI9211 shouid not come out when you pull on it, only when you press the tab.

The LSI9211 should need nothing adjusted at all in the BIOS (system and LSI)
The drives should passthrough with no user input.

Hope this helps
The cable - that's a good point, I haven't thought of that. Actually no, I haven't used this cable before, it's a new one. As I mentioned, I successfully used the same LSI SAS9211-8I controller on my X8SIL-F MB before, so I thought this could be a X9SCM-F compatiblility issue, but I'll have to check that cable.

Thanks,
teq

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
You would most certainly not be the first person to have fallen for the reverse break out cable trick ;) , this cable is to hook up SATA controller (ie motherboard connectors) to a backplane

The cable you need is the 'forward cable that runs from controller to drives, there is an internal difference I assume in how they are wired up.

They look identical

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
Which operating system are you running? Not sure if your problem is related or not, but I had an issue with my IBM m1015 (rebranded LSI SAS) being recognized under CentOS on my X9SCL-F. Supermicro has a FAQ for this. The FAQ mentions CentOS 5.5, but I'm on 6.2, but the net result is the same. An upgrade to BIOS 1.1a fixed my problem. Might be worth a try.

teq

Mar 22, 2012
You would most certainly not be the first person to have fallen for the reverse break out cable trick ;) , this cable is to hook up SATA controller (ie motherboard connectors) to a backplane

The cable you need is the 'forward cable that runs from controller to drives, there is an internal difference I assume in how they are wired up.

They look identical
You were right - it was the cable. Once I used the same cable as on my X8SIL-F MB, everything worked fine. It's really incredible, the other cables look identical, but they don't work.

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers,
teq