X9QR7-TF+: Boot stuck at System Initialization B6/B7

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thescientist

Jun 28, 2018
Hello everyone.

I recently acquired a new X9QR7-TF+, along with four E5-4657LV2/SR19F, a Supermicro SuperChassis 748TQ-R1400B, and four sticks of MEM-DR316L-SL03-ER18. Seller of motherboard claims to have updated the BIOS for me for v2 CPUs.

I started the build yesterday. After installing motherboard into case, hooking up power, installing one CPU into CPU1, and 1 RAM stick into the P1-DIMMA1, I attempted to boot. VGA signal displayed with Supermicro splash and "System Initialization" with code 15. Splash flickered and went to splash again with code B7 and got stuck. Green LED beside the PCIE slots also flashes on and off, every other second.

I've since tried two sticks (P1-DIMMA1 and P1-DIMMB1), different sticks, different slots with only one stick, reseating different CPU, clearing CMOS, all to no avail. I either get stuck at B6 (most commonly) or B7. If I boot with no RAM, I get the "no memory beeps" (5 short, 1 long) as expected, stopping with code B0. The CPU contacts and pins all look clean/fine. I've also tried shifting motherboard around to make sure it isn't shorting on any of the standoffs.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Wattrelos

Dec 23, 2018
Hello everyone.

I recently acquired a new X9QR7-TF+, along with four E5-4657LV2/SR19F, a Supermicro SuperChassis 748TQ-R1400B, and four sticks of MEM-DR316L-SL03-ER18. Seller of motherboard claims to have updated the BIOS for me for v2 CPUs.

I started the build yesterday. After installing motherboard into case, hooking up power, installing one CPU into CPU1, and 1 RAM stick into the P1-DIMMA1, I attempted to boot. VGA signal displayed with Supermicro splash and "System Initialization" with code 15. Splash flickered and went to splash again with code B7 and got stuck. Green LED beside the PCIE slots also flashes on and off, every other second.

I've since tried two sticks (P1-DIMMA1 and P1-DIMMB1), different sticks, different slots with only one stick, reseating different CPU, clearing CMOS, all to no avail. I either get stuck at B6 (most commonly) or B7. If I boot with no RAM, I get the "no memory beeps" (5 short, 1 long) as expected, stopping with code B0. The CPU contacts and pins all look clean/fine. I've also tried shifting motherboard around to make sure it isn't shorting on any of the standoffs.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Note 1
: E5-4600v2 processor support is available when the latest BIOS (BIOS Version 3.0 or later) is used in your system

thescientist

Jun 28, 2018
I know this is a long time since I first posted, but I do have an update.

I bought an old 4 core e5-4603 and put it in, and the thing booted flawlessly first try. So I am 90% convinced the CPUs are duds. Aside from putting them back in, is there anything I can do to test them?

thescientist

Jun 28, 2018
Ugh, I should have stated this earlier, but the BOIS build version is 3.0b, which suggests I don't need to update the BIOS. That thread does mention the IPMI, does that need to be updated for the v2 cpus to work? Is that any different from updating the BIOS?