X9DRW-iF wierd boot issues & troubleshooting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I had this system for a while and all of a sudden started having issues booting and I was getting blank IPMI screen either with IPMIView iKVM console or Browser based one. Adding to the woes is pesky java issues with browser based remote console. My IPMI FW was 2.59 which is the latest for this motherboard. But more recent is available at least 2.74 per the SMC FAQ in this link:
FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

So instead of waiting for support response, I searched on the SMC support site for X9 boards here:
BIOS & IPMI Download | Intel | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Bingo - X9DRG-QF has the X9_SMM_2.74.zip. It validated and successfully updated the IPMI and appear to have resolved my java error for the moment. You would think they sync the FW for all the mobos with the same BMC. X9 motherboard appear to have at least to different BMCs. the FW files show SMM or SMT. Same goes true for the mobos with SMT FW as I see a variation of 3.19 - 3.54 and even a 4.09. Since I don't have a board with SMT FW, I did not dig into the details.
Bottomline - There may be a updated IPMI FW than what is listed under the downloads for your board. And if the fixes listed in the change log applies to your situation, do the next step and confirm with tech support and apply the update.

Back to my boot issue - I didn't find the option on SM IPMIView but on the Browser version under Miscellaneous - POST Snooping. Since I was not getting any display, that was one way to check the POST codes short of plugging a screen and keyboard.

My board was getting stuck at BA. SM FAQ indicated it's most likely a memory issue. I know I have both PC3-12800R & PC3L-12800R in this system and ran memtest when I added the mix and did not have any issues. I figured I'd remove PC3L and rebalance the rest of the DIMMS. The issue seem to have gone now and is booting normally.

Don't know why I didn't get the screen display during POST with memory issues preset but POST snooping helped me thought I'd share that tidbit and might help someone else save some time.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I don't really have anything to add about your POST issues, but a warning about mixing DDR3 and 3L: it'll usually work, but it'll downgrade your memory to the lowest speed. The last time I ran into a system setup like this, was a C1100, and all the RAM ran at 800MHz. Removing the 3L RAM resolved the RAM speed issue, and got rid of the warning at boot.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@vanfawx - I didn't check the memory speed during the mixed config. I ran a full pass of memtest86 before started using the system. Below is my general understanding on various memory configs:

1. Mixing of LRDIMMs & RDIMMs - Not allowed
2. System supporting only DDR3L will not accept DDR3
3. DDR3L is dual voltage (1.35 & 1.5) and will work at 1.5 when used in system with DDR3 (mixed)
4. Mixing of speeds allowed - All RAM runs at lowest speed
5. Mixing of Ranks is allowed: Single, Dual & Quad as long as the total rank per channel is within the mobo specs. Meaning if it supports 8ranks and has 3 dimms/channel
you can use 2 4R or 1 4R + 2 of (any 2R/1R) etc.