X9DRW-3TF+ Troubleshooting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

djroketboy

Sep 2, 2011
I'm trying to narrow down a bad part, and it’s just not jumping out at me. The motherboard is a Supermicro X9DRW-3TF+ populated with two E5-2650L V2’s. Neither have been tested individually as I don’t have any spare CPU’s that would fit in this board; or a spare board that I can test the CPU’s with. I have tested with a separate power supply, and there doesn’t seem to be any difference when powering up. The board powers up, I get a single beep, but no video (just a blank, black screen). I have pulled all memory, swapped CPU’s, switched the sockets that the CPU’s were in, tried a single CPU in each socket, then vice versa. But it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I just get a single beep and black screen.

What else can I test other than having to buy more hardware? I can’t even say its bad memory as currently there isn’t any even in the board. I have tried booting with 1,2, and 4 sticks but the results are the same. There are no bad memory beeps.

I do have 2 cases that I can use. First is a Supermicro SC116TQ-R700CB and the second is a Supermicro SC119TQ-R700WB. The later is what I have the X9DRW-3TF+ in. This is for an ESXi host, I really would have liked dual CPU, but can survive on a single 10 core CPU. If worse comes to worse, what would a good "affordable" motherboard be that would work with the CPU's I have and either of the cases.

Hopefully it’s something stupid, so any help at all would be appreciated!

djroketboy

Sep 2, 2011
Oh... snap! Ordered it. That would be spectacular if that was all it was... I've been looking at other motherboards, and really dreading the prices ;)

Thank you!

djroketboy

Sep 2, 2011
Also, if you got the motherboard used, it may have the license to update the BIOS via browser. Not always but doesn't hurt to check.
Yes, I purchased it used, and that would be nice to check. It appears they disabled DHCP on the IPMI interface, and I have no idea what is set.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@djroketboy well, check the jumpers if ipmi is disabled. If it is enabled and it doesn't pull an IP through DHCP, you can either give up, or dig deep.
If you plan to do the later, we can talk about that.
Though getting it to boot with the e5 v1 will also make you able to reset, configure and use the ipmi and you wouldn't need to do the dig.

The ipmi would allow you to update the bios, and see what Postcode it throws, ikvm, sensor-readings, etc.
If it isn't an incompatible bios, that's the way to figure out what's going on.
Or you could RMA / return it : )

djroketboy

Sep 2, 2011
@RageBone Ok, I'll bite. I'm guessing (hoping) that I can connect to the IPMI interface via serial? (USB 2.0 to RS232 DB9 Serial Cable). I have 3 serial cables here, and none will work (male to female) I need female to female to work with my USB to serial (male) adapter.

Is there another way I can get to the IPMI interface? I’m guessing SOL is out seeing I can’t get on the box and have no idea what the IP is.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@djroketboy i have no clue how and if that'd work.

The known route in case the ipmi is functional, configured to a static ip, and the bmc isn't disabled or faulty, you can try to metasploit your way into it.

To get to actually talking with the bmc, you'd make a direct connection from another device, laptop, workstation, what ever, to the dedicated ipmi lan port, and trace what's happening on the interface when you connect the two.
Once you know the Address, you move that device over to that same range, connect to that ip, and now only the login credentials are holding you back.

At that point you either guess them, default creds etc, or you start for example metasploit and script your way inside.
Worst-case is a good password and up to date FW with no vulnerabilities, and you'l figure that out in about 10 min.

Sadly, a defective X10dri of mine has that, and the board has a defect that it posts to FF.
Be warned, someone i know metasploited a public ipmi instead of the local one, because Networking and routes and such. wups.

And here is a nice guide to the hole metasploit ipmi action.
A Penetration Tester's Guide to IPMI and BMCs

djroketboy

Sep 2, 2011
Alright well... new CPU did the trick and it let me update both the IPMI and BIOS firmware. Other good news is that all my memory works, yay! Bad news is that neither of the 2560L's are detected... so... I have a few questions on that.

Is there anything special I need to do for E5-2650L V2’s to work in this board? Or, are there any recommendations for CPU's in a X9DRW-3TF+? This will be a vmware hypervisor, honestly the more cores the better, but would also take less cores at a higher clock rate.

@RageBone thanks for the IPMI info, I'll prolly mess with that when I have more time during the upcoming holidays.

Reactions: RageBone