X9DRL-7F can't access

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

david.t

Nov 27, 2017
Hi

I bought a Supermicro X9DRL-7F (Rev. 1.02A) of Ebay and 2x E5-2650 V2.

So... I installed the CPUs, RAM and the system seems to boot fine. Random beeps but those seem to be the normal ones (?), unplugging the RAM gives a more distinct beeping pattern.

The system seems booted fine. No strange beeps, all LEDs are blinking like they are suppose to but I can't access the IPMI. Main problem is that the router don't seem to detect the IPMI port or any of the other 2 210i ports, they are light up and flashing like they normally would but nothing happens.

I mailed Supermicro to find out what BIOS version 1.02A was shipped with hoping that it's above 3.0 or that they Ebay guy updated the BIOS. But if that was the problem wouldn't it be beeping a code for CPU error?

Any ideas on how I move on? Or just take the hit and buy a V1 cpu and see if it helps...

Edit;
Just to clarify, the LEDs...
The L-SAS has a steady and a hearthbeat. Seems OK
BMC has a hearthbeat. Seems OK
POWER LED steady. Seems OK
IPMI; Left steady green, Right flashing orange/yellow.
Both 210i; Left steady orange, flashing orange/yellow.

Would I even get this far if the CPU wasn't ok?

Also, the board powers on soon as the psu switch is turned on. Guessing thats normal...

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
You could try clearing the CMOS thru the jumper or reset the BIOS to factory defaults. Are you able to connect a keyboard and monitor?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

david.t

Nov 27, 2017
You could try clearing the CMOS thru the jumper or reset the BIOS to factory defaults. Are you able to connect a keyboard and monitor?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Giving the old CMOS another go.
Guess trying to connect a monitor and keyboard is better first step the buying a new cpu. Think I got an old TN with VGA input laying around.

david.t

Nov 27, 2017
I bought the same mobo, I had to clear the CMOS to access the bios. Once in the bios, I could reset the network config on the IPMI. I then made a bootable usb to reset the IPMI password using this guide: https://serverfault.com/a/608868
Yep, seems like I have to go get the old monitor and keyboard in the old apartment and see if I get a bootscreen atleast. Find it a bit odd that the IPMI settings or any LAN setting are kept even with after CMOS reset and battery out. Guess it makes sense in an server enviroment.

Cheers for the guide!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
The IPMI settings are technically part of the BMC, not the BIOS/ CMOS, even if the BIOS screens do allow you to tweak some of those settings. They are two separate subsystems, albeit inter-acting ones. So, unlike the CMOS, those settings are going to be stored in the BMC Flash and thus not in volatile memory. Pulling the battery, clearing the CMOS with the jumper etc, will clear out any old passwords used to protect BIOS screen access, reset the clock, set hardware defaults etc, but once in there, then you have access to whatever BMC settings are available, like which NIC to use for remote access etc :)