X9DRL-3F - Won't show 64 GB RAM installed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marcos Sachi

Aug 29, 2016
Hello guys.

I'm new in the forum and I'm hoping I can get some help with my issue. I've recently bought a SuperMicro X9DRL-3F, running with an Intel Xeon Processor E5-2603 v2 and 64 GB RAM (Samsung 64GB 8x8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 1333Mhz 240PIN Registered ECC REG Memory). I've installed ESXi 6 and it's running very well, no issues at all.

My concerning is about RAM, checking in the BIOS I see only 32 GB RAM installed. I've tested all memories, one by one, two by two, and all works fine, but when all of them are installed only shows 32 GB RAM instead of 64 GB RAM.

This is the memory I bought - Samsung 64GB 8x8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R DDR3 1333Mhz 240PIN Registered ECC REG Memory

This is the processor - Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2603 v2 (10M Cache, 1.80 GHz) Specifications

This is the motherboard - Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DRL-3F

Has anyone seen something like that? Any thought what can I check?

Thank you in advance.

Jan 30, 2016
If it's anything like my 2 socket boards you need both processors installed in order to use the second set of ram slots. Checking the supermicro manual should let you know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Marcos Sachi

Marcos Sachi

Aug 29, 2016
If it's anything like my 2 socket boards you need both processors installed in order to use the second set of ram slots. Checking the supermicro manual should let you know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Thank you for replying back. I indeed see the following table in the motherboard manual, but not sure that if I wanna use all DIMM I have to have the second processor installed.

Attachments

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I indeed see the following table in the motherboard manual, but not sure that if I wanna use all DIMM I have to have the second processor installed.
Look at the block diagram on page 1-10 and you will see that DIMM slots E1, F1, G1 and H1 are tied to CPU2. Without CPU2 you cannot access these DIMM slots.

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
Yep, 4 DIMM slots per CPU. Each tied to a CPU. To reach 64GB you'll either need a second identical CPU to use the RAM you have now or replace the RAM with 4x16GB sticks.

pro lamer

May 20, 2018
EDIT: Since I'm planning to post similar question to some other forum I decided to "somehow" delete the text below to avoid crossposting.
Hi, excuse me posting to an old thread but does the below confirm that X9DRL can be booted and used with only one memory slot populated?

I've tested all memories, one by one,

Last edited: