X9DRI-LN4F 200 USD Great mobo for V2 cpus

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
well, i can confirm the board I received had an old BIOS version and I had to pull a E5-2660 (v1) CPU from another server to power it on and update the firmware. the board already had IPMI firmware version 2.0, which is the minimum requirement to flash to the latest BIOS to support v2 CPUs, but I upgraded that as well.

i can also confirm, the firmware and BIOS for this board are identical to the X9DR3-LN4F+, and so is the manual. So, nothing to worry about if you see mentions of it's sister board in the BIOS setup.

after IPMI + firmware upgrade, I popped in the E5-2680v2 pair i just got, but it got stuck at "System initializing... BF". According to Supermicro, this is either bad CPU IMC, bad DIMM module, or bad DIMM slot. I took out the 2nd CPU and RAM module I had for testing, and just booted with 1 CPU and 1 DIMM and it booted up fine. I then added 2nd CPU, and then the system powered on, shut off, and powered on again and recognized the 2nd CPU just fine. I then added the DIMM to the 2nd CPU and it worked just fine and never saw the "BF" code again. I later added 12 DIMMs total and still booted up fine.

overall, very happy with this purchase. i got the CPUs for $165 each.

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
Purchased the 2603v1 the board booted fine, updated the bios, put in one sr19k v2 and 4 sticks, it booted fine!

Now i went into the bios and changed the video card priority fron onboard to off.

Inserted a x1 pcie video card...no workie, tried multiple slots no vidio...

Is there a trick tk gettingba video card to work with these?

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
Purchased the 2603v1 the board booted fine, updated the bios, put in one sr19k v2 and 4 sticks, it booted fine!

Now i went into the bios and changed the video card priority fron onboard to off.

Inserted a x1 pcie video card...no workie, tried multiple slots no vidio...

Is there a trick tk gettingba video card to work with these?
Make sure if you gpu only supports legacy bios you have legacy video selected in bios. Same thing if its efi only

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J321AZ using Tapatalk

fake-name

Feb 28, 2017
That would be the easiest way. E5 2603/2609 should be cheap.

It is possible that you can update BIOS from the IPMI if DHCP is enabled and the password is default (ADMIN:ADMIN). Just connect a Ethernet cable to the lonely RJ45 plug and check DHCP leases in your router for SM485784757 or something and enter that IP in your web browser.
You shouldn't need it to be running DHCP. Just connect to it directly with a ethernet cable, and run wireshark on the connected computer. You should see it ARPing. You can generally figure out the ip/subnet that way, even if it's statically assigned.

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
Okay got it working! Put the second CPU in and it worked...

I am impressed,

2x 12 core sr19k cpu
8 sticks samsung 8 gb 1xR4 1600mhz
And this monster mb

Idles under 60W, thats 24 cores 48 threads 64gb memory no hard drives yet..

Color me happy

Reactions: fossxplorer

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
Wow, that is awesome! What chassis/PSU are you using to get that low idle power?

I am using a chenbro 41416b that i modified to fit the mb, I am using a SFx size 600 watt 80 plus gold power supply and a kilo-watt meter to measure power...while these are v2 e5 cpus thaey idle at 1.8 and turbo to 2.0.

Keep in mind no hards drives yet, planning 16 spinners and 16 ssd

Reactions: laserpaddy