X9drg-qf the saga continues...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
So after 4 months of waiting for my rma from Supermicro I've got my board..... They replaced a socket and said tested good and shipped it back.

Installed my two 2670 sr0kx's and nothing. I'm relieved to have half a computer but disappointed it still doesn't work.

I can still successfully run either cpu with all my ram in cpu1 but as soon as I attempt to put both cpu's on the board I am shit out of luck with any combination of number of sticks of ram.

Currently running latest bios from 2015 and ipmi works perfectly.

Are there any experimentsexperiments in bios I can do to figure out what is going on?

I knew I should have bought the z9pe-d8 but the x9drg-qf was so darn sexy I couldn't help myself.

Will shoot an email to SM to ask them what cpu/ram they tested with tomorrow some time.

Is there a reason ram would be adequate for a 1 cpu configuration but not two.?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You're using RAM on their approved list?

What exact model?

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
In IPMI when I look under post code snoop I see 2B but there are no beep codes.

Have not tried different ram yet (don't have any to try)
RAM is in spec but not on their list ( second hand ram from a server farm)
IBM badged 4GB PC3-10600-9-10 ECC
- All sticks of ram function correctly on a single cpu.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
No boot with one stick per cpu and 2 cpu's installed.

I have both 8 pins and the four pin at the front to plugged. That was my first stumbling block.

I've got bios version 3.25. I suspect and older bios might actually be the solution. I have the 1.0 revision board and when they added the 2nd generation chips they may have culled the C2 stepping 2670's. Just a guess. With the glut of 2670's I can't be the only one trying to give an x9drg-qf a second life but it would depend on whether SM is still providing active support. They rma'able the board so I would assume the are.

It could still be the ram although I would have thought that one side would be as good as the other but maybe not. I am going to have to hunt down some ram that is explicitly on their list and see if one set of ram slots is fussier than the other. I may try looser timings and disabling some ecc features to see if something happens.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
another data point.... Difference between the ram I have and the tested ram...]
both are
1.5v rdimm,
ecc registered,
cl9,
2Rx4

Anything obvious that I am missing other than the IBM part is not the SAMSUNG part (specs look the same to me)?

The ram the is recommended...
Part #: M393B2G70BH0-CH9 (SAMSUNG)
SPECIFICATIONS
REACH Compliant Yes
EU RoHS Compliant Yes
Status Active
Sub Category Other Memory ICs
Access Time-Max 0.255 ns
Clock Frequency-Max (fCLK) 667.0 MHz
I/O Type COMMON
JESD-30 Code R-PDMA-N240
Memory Density 1.54618822656E11 bit
Memory Width 72
Moisture Sensitivity Level 2
Number of Terminals 240
Number of Words 2.147483648E9 words
Number of Words Code 2G
Operating Temperature-Min 0.0 Cel
Operating Temperature-Max 85.0 Cel
Organization 2GX72
Output Characteristics 3-STATE
Package Body Material PLASTIC/EPOXY
Package Code DIMM
Package Equivalence Code DIMM240,40
Package Shape RECTANGULAR
Package Style MICROELECTRONIC ASSEMBLY
Peak Reflow Temperature (Cel) 260
Power Supplies (V) 1.5
Qualification Status Not Qualified
Refresh Cycles 8192.0
Supply Voltage-Nom (Vsup) 1.5 V
Surface Mount NO
Technology CMOS
Temperature Grade OTHER
Terminal Form NO LEAD
Terminal Pitch 1.0 mm
Terminal Position DUAL
Time@Peak Reflow Temperature-Max (s) 40

VS

The ram that I have in hand
datasheet M393B2G70BH0-CH9

IBM 43X5047 4GB (1X4GB) 1333MHZ PC3-10600 DUAL RANK X4 ECC REGISTERED CL9 LP DDR3 SDRAM 240-PIN RDIMM GENUINE IBM MEMORY MODULE FOR SYSTEM X SERVER.

MEMORY SIZE: 4 GB
MEMORY TECHNOLOGY: DDR3 SDRAM
MEMORY SPEED: 1333 MHZ
MEMORY STANDARD: DDR3-1333/PC3-10600
DATA INTEGRITY CHECK: ECC
SIGNAL PROCESSING: REGISTERED,2RX4

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I think I solved my mystery.... Pitiful... I was going through all my settings and specs so I checked the CPU and saw... E5 2670 C1 .... and said to myself... "C1? WTF C1?... I have 2 SR0KX's and those are C2's".... So I rubbed off the silver heat sink gunk and what do I see...

I have 1 SR0H8 and 1 SR0KX doh! ... A C1 and a C2....

Can someone confirm for me the trying to dual cpu an H8 and a KX together is a pointless and frustrating endeavor?

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
It should still work. Not technically the best idea and VT-d may not work, but it should still work.

Last edited:

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Sorry to hear this, sucks when things don't go right!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
On the plus side I have half a running workstation... which is a fair bit better than no running workstation.. I will try some older BIOS and some Beta Bios to see if they make any difference... (maybe one of the Betas has a BCLK modifier)... The 2670 with turbo on runs at 3.2 which is already pretty darn good although my fans sound like a small airplane... fleabay swap the C1 for a C2... pick up the samsung ram.... replace the power supply... buy another mobo and chuck this one in the bin or sell it for part.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
... and it Works... I turned off power saving and turned on turbo last night as well as turning off the various data saving features that make ECC useful in the bios... I then put the SR0KX in cpu1 and SR0h8 in cpu2 and it posted.... I still have no idea what the problem is but... IT'S ALIVE....

I'm still going to get a second SR0KX for the vt-d for my vm's and swap up to the supermicro 8GB Samsung RDIMM's and get a power supply that doesn't sound like a diesel generator but IT'S ALIVE..... Wooo hooo!!!!!

Reactions: vanfawx and Chuntzu

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
... and it Works... I turned off power saving and turned on turbo last night as well as turning off the various data saving features that make ECC useful in the bios... I then put the SR0KX in cpu1 and SR0h8 in cpu2 and it posted.... I still have no idea what the problem is but... IT'S ALIVE....

I'm still going to get a second SR0KX for the vt-d for my vm's and swap up to the supermicro 8GB Samsung RDIMM's and get a power supply that doesn't sound like a diesel generator but IT'S ALIVE..... Wooo hooo!!!!!
Awesome.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013

Awesome glad to hear it is sorted

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Glad to hear it. When you are ready for some DIMMs and a power supply just give me a shout. I may have what you need.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
PSU is a priority. mine is noisy enough to give you a headache after 10 or 12 hours in the same room. I've got a nice active noise cancelling headset coming but it's open backed so my voice will sound good but it won't block out the psu.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Are you using a 747TQ-R1620B? The power supplies in there are really quite. I picked up a few of these chassis when they were filled with x8drg-qf and were very cheap.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan

Shows the board fitted into the older chassis so that works.

The next question is whether the new model psu will fit into the old chassis.

I could scavenge 12v power from one of the 8 pin pci power and adapt to a 4 pin connection but then I only have power for 3 cards. First world problems.

Last edited: