X9drg-qf the saga continues...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I don't believe that the x9drg-qf will fit into the previous model case. My reading said people were annoyed about that. I will confirm .
The board fits into the chassis, I have the x8version and the board with 11pci slots and both fit. The powersupplies are the one with the larger blades I have the 1280 watt versions. I am not at home so I can't give you a part number.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
As my next allotment of money draws near I find myself looking at the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
Rosewill BlackHawk-Ultra Full Tower Gaming Computer Case, support up to HPTX MB, Support Dual PSU, come with 8 cooling Fans - Newegg.ca

It looks like I can shoehorn in the motherboard and 2 psus with room for a couple of beer in the front seat for a bit over $200 canuckistani dollars.

I have drooled over the Caselabs

eyed the lian li dc-8000,

the corsair 900D,

and thought lovingly about the supermicro 7047 or 7048GR-TR

I even put the TX-10 on my desktop wallpaper for a while.

but it's very hard to part with $500 to well over $1000 american buckaroos on a chassis when there is still other hardware to be bought (I suspect this may be a permanent issue).

One could argue, and I have, that once you have the case that you won't have to buy another one. I have occasionally told myself this lie or maybe it's the truth...

Anyway... I am extremely close to pulling the trigger on this ginourmous tin can.

I need to make the office more camera friendly asap.

Any alternatives ideas for hiding my current mess are appreciated.

thanks. r :)

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I ordered the rosewill blackhawk ultra and it arrived yesterday afternoon...

Close but no cigar...

It's too small to put the psu in the bottom and have the motherboard align with the back plate. I can remove the top fans and put the PSU in the top and cut a plate to block the bottom but I won't be able to get a second psu the chassis.

This board really needs an 11 expansion slot chassis. I will make this work for the time being but it looks like the Lian Li PC-D8000 is going to be my final stop. This will be the 2nd chassis that I buy and then sell on kijiji. It's time to stop the madness.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013

Shows the board fitted into the older chassis so that works.

The next question is whether the new model psu will fit into the old chassis.

I could scavenge 12v power from one of the 8 pin pci power and adapt to a 4 pin connection but then I only have power for 3 cards. First world problems.
Never really noticed this thread, but now is better than never to dissuade people from doing bad things.

I'm really surprised you didn't smoke that board with that adapter. That adapter was feeding 12V+ to GND and GND to 12V+. You need to use your brain and make sure that what you're doing makes sense (this doesn't make any sense!) Hope you have deep pockets and a fire extinguisher.

Also, vertical video syndrome is cancer. Please take videos horizontally.

Now that the berating is out of the way, what you really need is something like this C2G 12in ATX Power Supply to Pentium 4 Power Adapter Cable Model 27314 - Newegg.com

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
That wasn't a video of me happily... I have the correct adapter cable to switch ground and power from 6 PIN VGA to 4+4 CPU cables.

I used this one. CB-6M-44F 6pin PCI-EX Male to 4+4pin EPS female,12in

For using two power supplies I am using this gadget.
ADD2PSU

ADD2PSU Adapter NEW UNUSED Run Dual Power Supply

There are still some PSU manufacturers with cables that will let you plug the wrong 8 pin cable in. I am happy that I haven't made this mistake yet but if you assemble enough machines the day will come.

I picked up a couple of 7/64 drill bits and a 8/32 tap for the motherboard yesterday afternoon.

superempie

Sep 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Interesting thread.
Bought a SM X9DRG-QF yesterday from Ebay for my new homeserver. Should be here in about 1-2 weeks.
For a case, I was looking at the Lian Li PC-A75. The PC-A79 also looks fine, but it is more expensive.
I'm fine with one PSU, but still finding out which PSUs have 1x24, 2x8 and 1x4 pin cabling with them and has enough power so I don't have to replace it anytime soon in the future. Only found the Enermax Platimax EPM1500EGT so far.
On the EVGA forums I found a picture of someone looking to have the same motherboard in a A75 case with a Corsair AX1500i in it and 5 GPUs, but I can't find if it has a 1x4 pin connector by default. Will look some further.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I found Lian Li's monster case in stock at Lian Li PC-D800 Full-Tower Case (Black) PC-D8000B B&H Photo

It will likely be my next try at the monster chassis for the x9DRG-QF. If I had to do it again I would likely use the z9pe-d8 ws and then upgrade to the z10pe-d8 ws.... The X9DRG and X10DRG are fantastic boards but I think Asus provides a nicer feature set and chassis compatibility. Where the DRG's shine is PCI slots. The configuration for dual cards is unique in this format. The next step up requires a proper backplane.

My intent is to build a xeon phi centric workstation for data mining/machine learning. By the time I get there I will likely want to acquire one of the new Knight's Landing workstations/servers but in the interim I am quite enjoying building out my little dungeon lab. At my current rate I will have learned enough calculus, linear algebra and numerical analysis to use my toy for it's intended purpose.

superempie

Sep 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Got the board today. This is really an enormous motherboard!
For a case, I went for the Lian Li PC-A75. Still have to find a suitable PSU and then the building starts.

Primary purpose will be a virtualization server. I also want to do al little ML/DL with this one, but with GPUs.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
The lian li DC8000 arrived today. So far it it is the largest chassis to arrive in my dungeon. I am currently using it as a table.

Hopefully I will get some time and find out if I can properly seat the x9drg in this behemoth this weekend. I have a tap and die set and some standoffs and am hoping that I'm not going to have to do any cutting, bending or , riveting.

Amazing how light the lian li case is for its size.

TeoZ

Aug 28, 2016
Has anyone tried this board under ubuntu 16.04? I had an X9DR3-LN4F+ and it would crash all. the. time. It worked in windows 10 but I had to turn off power saving in BIOS. I wasn't sure if it was defective or if the board wasn't compatible. I'm afraid to plunk down a chunk of change for a similar fate.