X9DRE-TF+ No Video Output or IMPI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

drabadue

Sep 15, 2016
Recently bought a X9DRE-TF+. Installed an ES CPU (E5-2650). Installed one 4GB stick of ram. Board is setup on a sheet of bubble wrap outside of a case. ATX power supply powering the ATX 24 pin connector and the first 8 pin connector. Left the second 8 pin disconnected as the sticker on it says "Both 8pins required for heavy load configuration."

If I jump the front panel power connector, I can get the fans to come on, but I get no video out of the vga. Checked the vga jumper, and it is on pins 1-2.

Tried to see if I could get IMPI to work, and it doesn't show up in my router. The activity light for the BMC blinks, and the LAN connector for impi does show activity, however the LEDs for the LAN port seem dim.

Removed the battery from the board, and cleared CMOS by shorting the 2 pads.

Powered the board up, no change.

I installed a second ES CPU (also E5-2650 that has been tested and works in pairs), and installed a cheap gpu to see if I could get video out of that, no luck. The x16 PCIe slots need CPU2 to work.

Removed CPU2, removed the add in GPU.

I noticed that jumper JBR1 does not have the blue connector on it. So I robbed one off another board, set it to 1-2, and powered the board up. No luck. Set it to 2-3 and powered the board up. No luck.

I'm not getting any beeps when I power on the board.

Shutting down the board, I need to hold the power button for 5-6 seconds to get it to power down.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

I have a V2 CPU I can try and I have an E5-2670 that I can rob from another computer to try. Not sure if the ES CPU could be my issue.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
The onboard speaker needs to be jumped on to work and be able to beep your ears off.
Check if it is jumped on.
Having only one EPS 8pin connected is totally fine, just to have mentioned it.

Since the BMC Hartbeat is blinking, it probably isn't a dead oscillator keeping your BMC from running.
So a good thing in general.

Since you tested with V1 SandyBridge CPUs it most likely isn't a BIOS Microcode problem.
And SM Boards seem to in general support ES cpus.

You will most likely have problems with the V2 ES, if it happens to run an old bios version.

Those SM boards should have at least one PCIe slot from the first CPU or the PCH, try the gpu in those slots again.

There is a CMOS clear "button", two solder pads that you can short together, try that a few times between changes.

In terms of the ipmi not showing up, it is most likely configured to a static IP.
You can figure that out through connecting the ipmi nic to another PCs Nic that you are monitoring with for instance wireshark.
The moment you connect the two, they should exchange packets shouting their configured IPs.
You can then change the Nics IP to an IP in the same range, and then connect to it.

Be careful with routing, maybe you aren't actually probing on the local interface but instead on the web.

Do you have a PostCode Debug card? Those come in handy to figure out what's going on.

drabadue

Sep 15, 2016
I have tried to clear the CMOS with shorting the solder pads. PCIe wise, CPU1 doesnt have a full x16 slot. Those are both on CPU2 which is why I tried it that way.

I will look for the speaker jumper.

I have never played with Wireshark, but I will give it a shot. The way I was trying before was through a router that was only connected to the Supermicro board and my computer. No Ethernet in.

I will give some of your suggestions a try and report back @RageBone.

Reactions: RageBone

drabadue

Sep 15, 2016
@RageBone - I tested out Wireshark and did indeed find the IP for the BMC. I can ping it, and it does reply, but when I go to that address in my web browser, it says "refused to connect." I also found out that the internal speaker jumper is indeed set to the internal speaker.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
In some cases, static IPS on ipmis mean that this unit was put openly on the internet.

If you then try to open it in a browser, instead of through the the local nic, your browser takes the rout through the web.

Easy fix is to temporary disconnect the probing machine from the internet.

If that hole scenario wasn't relevant, you unfortunately have a slightly bigger problem.