X9DR7-LN4F IPMI Dead - Is there an Add-On that will give me Temps?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
I purchased a X9DR7-LN4F knowing that the IPMI wasn't working for the original owner, but hoping that maybe I could use one of the multiple different methods to 'wake' it back up.

So far, I have not been successful.

Any idea if any of the many available add on IPMI devices would work on this board? I use it as an ESXi server, and all I"m really interested in are temperatures. I don't care if I have KVM ability.

I've considered buying a replacement board (I don't need all the features of the one I have), so perhaps that's a better avenue?

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Have you considered sending it back to Supermicro for repair ? It may be a cheaper alternative than purchasing a replacement, but be prepared for a bit of a wait. I've had boards that took 4~6 weeks to be returned to me.

Reactions: Craash

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
I haven't check on that option, may I ask what your cost was?

Since I have some fairly important (to me/family) VM's running on this box, being without it for even a couple of days might not be an option.

I was hoping for $50 or so for a add-in, or maybe $150 for a MB that supported my existing hardware (CPU/MEM) but was a much less feature filled board than the X9DR7.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
there are powershell commands to fetch the temperature info and such?
I'm afraid I don't understand the question?

Right now the only indication of life the ipmi has is that it lights the link light on the NIC. It shows up as NOT WORKING in BIOS, and any number of the standalone utilities see no IPMI. I had hoped originally that it was just a case of the MAC address being lost, but after everything I've done I feel it's likely a hardware failure.

I could possibly shed more light on the situation, if I was aware of the circumstances of how/when it died. But I don't have that information.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
If you only care about fetching motherboard temps, there are commands you can execute in the ESXi shell to fetch various parameters like that. Dunno if that helps you or not...

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
If you only care about fetching motherboard temps, there are commands you can execute in the ESXi shell to fetch various parameters like that. Dunno if that helps you or not...
Do those values exist with a dead IPMI? I assumed that since the temps weren't visible in BIOS anywhere, they wouldn't be available to the ESXi host.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Well, it depends on why it is dead :) I have an SM x9scl-f board that works fine except the IPMI lan interface doesn't work. The BIOS still shows me all the info. If it doesn't for you, I guess you're out of luck :(

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
Well, it depends on why it is dead :) I have an SM x9scl-f board that works fine except the IPMI lan interface doesn't work. The BIOS still shows me all the info. If it doesn't for you, I guess you're out of luck :(
My BIOS shows nothing other than the IPMI labeled as NOT WORKING.

Maybe I'll move to one of Natex's Intel S2600CP2J Motherboards if I can't find another solution.

ihrsetrdr

Jun 7, 2017
I have an X9DR7-LN4F board, ipmi works fine, but the temps can be read via lm-sensors, in a running linux OS.

But. I'm not sure how having a running OS blends with the intended usage of your system...?

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
I have an X9DR7-LN4F board, ipmi works fine, but the temps can be read via lm-sensors, in a running linux OS.

But. I'm not sure how having a running OS blends with the intended usage of your system...?
Perhaps I need some clarification. It is my belief that the temperatures are a product OF the ipmi, and as long as it works you can access them via lm-sensors in 'nix, hwinfo in windows, or any other platform, like ESXi CIM. However, if the IPMI is dead, those temperatures aren't available regardless of the method used to try and retrieve them. You can't retrieve what isn't there.

I'd love to be wrong in this instance, so if anyone has any further information please educate me.

I tried to start the repair process via SM, but man, it's kind of a mess.

I'm starting to think that a less expensive board replacement is the way to go.

ihrsetrdr

Jun 7, 2017
I really couldn't say, I am more familiar with desktop motherboards having thermal sensors, for the CPUs and various other components.

Here's a link and what Supermicro says about IPMI:

"On-board IPMI BMC Specification:

The Supermicro X11 platform's Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) is built on the ASPEED AST 2500 controller. The AST2500 is designed to dedicatedly support PCIE 1x, Gen2 bus interfaces. It supports 14x I2C/SMBUS devices.

The Supermicro X10 platform's Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) is built on the ASPEED AST 2400 controller. The AST2400 is designed to dedicatedly support PCIE 1x bus interface. It supports 14x I2C/SMBUS devices.

The Supermicro X9 platform's BMC is built on Nuvoton WPCM450 Controller. The WPCM450 communicates with onboard components via six SMBus interfaces, Platform Environment Control Interface (PECI) buses, and General Purpose I/O ports."