x9Da7, Windows 2019 - nightmare (SOLVED)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I have a x9da7 which I have been running for 7 years (18 months since last reboot). I decided to move it from 2012R2 to ws2019. It has been a challenging day. Since I was moving to 2019, I decided to upgrade the bios to current just to to avoid spectre, .... even though the system is double nat firewalled (I know, if it ain't broke....).

That was mistake number one - after boot to current bios the system hung at the "stupid micro" screen with a b2 error. Wasted an hour on that stupid error, it is there because I am using a usb keyboard and mouse and the ps/2 keyboard/mouse has nothing plugged into it.

F11 was my friend and it got me to reboot to the flash key which meant I reflashed the bios in case I boofed the first time. Reboot, no joy in mudville. That said, I was now at the blinking upper left hand cursor which I remembered from decades of no boot media.

So, getting desperate, I remove all the drives from the patsburg sata raid. Suddenly, I can get into bios.

<insert here multiple weird sometimes it boots to SCU drives, some times twilight zone>

Extremely long story short, as long as I completely avoid the Intel RST on the PCH06, the system is stable and I can run windows 2019.

Is anyone running the x9Da7 with windows server 2019, and if so, how did you get support for the the 602pch?

edge

Apr 22, 2013
Thanks to this site, I now have the SCU raid working. I found an Intel RSTe version that works with the C602 SCU raid on the x9DA7 in this thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/what-is-this-sas-controller.27137/

As to the SCU hanging the system during boot up, I had two RAID 1 sets defined on it. The first was a couple of 250 GB HDDs and the second was a couple of 2TB HDD. The second raid set had 1 hd that was flaky and constantly dropping out of the raid set. Removing the 2 TB drives allowed for sucessful booting.