X9 IPMI Temperature Control

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Daniels25143

Nov 5, 2016
I am in process of wrapping up a new build using a X9-SRLF motherboard and E5-2655 processor. I am using a Noctua heatsink which has low speed fans. I've successfully used the thread on Freenas forums to adjust the upper and lower fan speed limits so that the fans don't go to 100% when the motherboard thinks that they have stalled (Reference Material - Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control).

However, I now have a new problem, the motherboard isn't ramping up the fans enough to keep the CPU at (what I think) is a reasonable temperature. With the IPMI fan control set to 'Optimal' the CPU has gotten up to 79 C, which is too warm for my liking though it's still below max for the CPU. Looking at the IPMI page shows the CPU high threshold as 98 C, do I just need to adjust this down to 70 C using the same IPMI commands I used for the fans, or do I need to perform other actions?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I tried something similare but also got to high temperatures. At the end I used the noctua y-cable and connected the 4pin connector to a midwall fan (reporting proper rpms to ipmi) and the "stupid" 3pin fan connector to the noctua fan, ipmi resetted to the default settings and using the "optimal" mode.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I tried something similare but also got to high temperatures. At the end I used the noctua y-cable and connected the 4pin connector to a midwall fan (reporting proper rpms to ipmi) and the "stupid" 3pin fan connector to the noctua fan, ipmi resetted to the default settings and using the "optimal" mode.

Daniels25143

Nov 5, 2016
Yeah I've definitely considered going back to defaults, and using the low speed adapter or other means but I'd like to get the ipmi settings modified correctly if possible. Anyone have any experience with modifying the CPU ipmi threshold before I go that route?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk