X8ST3-F and ESXi Motherboard alarms

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jubby

Jun 5, 2011
Hi,

Putting together a new system consisting of:
Supermicro X8ST3-F
Xeon L5640
12GB ECC memory

The plan is to run ESXi 4.1 with Solaris 11 as NAS /SAN etc but ESXi seems to be causing my motherboard to alarm for some reason. I can't shut it off without powering down. The ESXi logs dont show much. It comes at random periods of time ofter power up. vSphere and IMPI sensors only indicate the chassis intrusion switch is tripped. Could this be causing ESXi to throw the alarm? There are no bios options/jumpers that i can find to disable the sensor.

This only occurs when running ESXi, it is not dependent on system load, with or without VM's running. I have stress tested the memory and CPU in Win 7 running prime etc with no issue at all. Temps/stability are fine.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just wondering, did you disable chassis intrusion alarms? Seems obvious but may be the culprit from what you are describing.

Jubby

Jun 5, 2011
I thought the same. As I mentioned in the original post, I could not find a setting to disable it. Maybe i had a"man" look. I did bridge the jumper/switch pins on the motherboard with not effect.