X8DTL-iF No Beeps or Post

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AdamO

Mar 9, 2017
Hi all, I'm been reading these forums for a while anonymously, but as of today a new member looking for some assistance.

I’ve just purchased a X8DTL-iF board, and attempted to set it up with two X5670 cpus. I’m getting a flashing light in the bottom left corner of the board by the PCIe sockets, and fans spin for about 3-4 seconds then the cycle repeats. The PSU doesn’t appear to fully start during this time and is reasonable quiet.

I get no beeping from the board to indicate a fault. Both EPS12v are plugged in, and the 24v main power strip also.

If I remove the RAM sticks, I get the usual RAM beeping on POST. When they are in, just the activity mentioned above. Have attempted to unplug, remove CMOS battery, and short the two soldered parts on the board responsible for a CMOS CLEAR operation and this doesn’t change things.

I don’t know what version BIOS I have as I cannot boot to check. Have ordered a 5502 CPU for £5 so I have another CPU to test this with. I have 3 RAM sticks to test, but only a single PSU (XFX P1-750G-TS3X)

Anyone got ideas on what could be going wrong or how to continue testing? I’m out of ideas.

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Can you take a picture of the RAM sticks please(with their side that has the details like mhz, ecc, gb.)? Alternatively write the info of the sticks as a post here. Looking forward to your reply.

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Hi there,

See attached - I have two of these in there.
I was thinking maybe it was a ram incompatibility but it's probably not. The led flashing could indicate what the exact error is. What color is the led that is flashing?

Other notes, Make sure you try to boot with only one ram stick( and keep switching slots each time you boot i up) and apply enough pressure to make sure the latches close completely as it could be a bad connection.

ALSO! Check this http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/5500/MNL-1076.pdf
page 31 says something about quad rank when using 56xx cpus

Last edited:

AdamO

Mar 9, 2017
I think the flashing LED might be a heartbeat LED on the board by the sounds of other posts.

Tried a few slots, not a lot of luck there either. Seems to be pointing towards BIOS incompatibility to my CPUs, the PSU isn't compatible, or the board is fried. I'm leaning towards A/B rather than C but it's difficult to tell as I don't have a spare PSU kicking around to test with.

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
I think the flashing LED might be a heartbeat LED on the board by the sounds of other posts.

Tried a few slots, not a lot of luck there either. Seems to be pointing towards BIOS incompatibility to my CPUs, the PSU isn't compatible, or the board is fried. I'm leaning towards A/B rather than C but it's difficult to tell as I don't have a spare PSU kicking around to test with.
Yeah, it is probably a CPU with RAM incompatibility or the BIOS needs an update.

Server reboots every 4.5-5.5 minutes

I am leaning towards PSU, you should find one that is confirmed to work with this mothoard.
Good luck!