X8DTH-6F sensors just completely died...any advice?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Everything was fine yesterday, was checking out the temps/readings in SuperDoctor 5, now all of a sudden today all of the fan/CPU sensors are shot.

Not even the BIOS can give me any readings.

IPMI and BIOS are both up to date. Any ideas?

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
resolved by doing ipmicfg -fd and then just shutting down the server by hitting the power button, unplugged, and then holding the power button for 30 seconds(discharges any power on the board) when i rebooted everything was normal again. just hope i don't have to do that often since i plan to use this server as my primary SAN device..

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
popping the battery is different than a nvram reset though.

Popping the battery leaves you in unknown states. A reset sets all of them to known states.
They should both in theory end up at the same place but one is technically better than the other.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Sensors just went offline again and the IPMI prevented me from logging in as ADMIN/ADMIN...any advice? Neo said to check the CMOS battery, I was going to use HWMonitor to do that but the sensors aren't working in that either. Guess I'll just have to go get a battery or volt meter. As a side note, the computer isn't booting as far as I can tell as the redirection viewer is just showing a black screen and I can't RDP into the server(which means it likely isn't coming up)

Last edited:

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Nice! Thanks for that. I'll give them a call when I can and reference that.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
So I was in contact with SM support via email, one of the techs recommend that I uninstall HWMonitor as it reads sensor information at the same time as the BMC which can cause collisions as he put it. So I uninstalled it, reset the BMC, hard power cycled, rebooted, and so far everything seems to still be working.

Reactions: Chuckleb