X8DT6 and X8DT3-LN4F boards, any major differences to note?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I'm currently using the X8DT6 but need a motherboard for my back up server and when looking for another dual 1366 board found a slick-ish deal on the X8DT3-LN4F. Seller accepted 90 bucks for one with i/o shield.

The main reason I really like it is because it has quad Intel GbE ports and a NIC for IPMI whereas my X8DT6 only has 2 LAN ports and no IPMI. The IPMI would be a really nice feature to have so that I can manage my two servers with Supermicro boards from another room and not have to go out into the garage.

The point of this point is to ask if anyone knows of any major differences between these two that I should be aware of and are worth nothing. Both are 5520 chipset.

One key thing I do know is different is the X8DT6 has onboard 2008 SAS and the X8DT3 has 1068E SAS. I don't use the onboard SAS or SATA ports now on my current board since I'm using a 3ware controller and plan to repurpose my other 3ware controller anyway so I don't think that's an issue. The only other thing readily apparent is that the X8DT6 has 5 PCIe slots whereas the X8DT3 has 4 PCIe slots and 2 standard PCI slots.

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X8DT6 / X8DT6-F / X8DTE / X8DTE-F

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X8DT3-LN4F

Any input is greatly appreciated!