x710-DA2 in a passively cooled case

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
So it seems I'm getting an upgrade itch again and my eyes twitch when looking at 10Gb hardware - I tried it once four or five years ago but the prices were off-putting and the noise and power consumption was even more so.

A year on and NBASE-T still doesn't seem to be gaining a great deal of traction - the one (well, two) switch that netgear brought out is only an 8-port job which isn't enough for me, it still has a fan and NICs that support it are few and far between, Intel being conspicuously absent. If there's stuff in the pipeline I haven't heard of it yet.

So once more I'm looking at 10GbE. Probably only one of my subnets/VLANs needs to be 10Gb-capable but I think that still means it'd need to 10Gb pipe into my router, so I was wondering what sort of 10Gb card I might be able to fit in it.

Which brings me to the topic of the x710-DA2; this seems to be the most recent and one of the most efficient 10Gb cards on the market, with the specs that I can find (not on the Intel site I might add) listing a 5W operational consumption. My pfsense box currently sits in a passively cooled case - something I don't want to change unless I have to - so I'd like to be able to consider being able to chuck a 10Gb card in there without having to worry too much about heat. Does the x710-DA2 really use that little power and is chucking it in a passively cooled case going to cause temperature problems?

Additionally, BLinux's post here also lists the x520-DA2 at being only marginally more hungry at 7W (it's also marginally cheaper than the x710), is that also worth considering?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I think pretty much all of the passively cooled enterprise 10gb NICs are designed expecting airflow from case fans to cool them sufficiently. Looking at the X710-DA2 datasheet for example it lists air flow requirements as "150LFM with 55°C required for DAC".

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I know they say that, but I've been running stuff for years with considerably less airflow than is mentioned on the specs. The box currently already has an i350 quad port in it that's marked as using 4.2W and doesn't have any heat problems, so I wouldn't have expected the x710-DA2 to suffer in a similar situation if it really does only pull 5W.