X570D4U-2L2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
The stars aligned and I actually had the time to purchase it while it was still in stock. I know i could have waited another month and paid about $40-$50 less on Provantage, but it’s my birthday and I took it as a sign.

It will be matched up with my 5600X (which should be arriving in about 3 weeks), a GTX 1660TI, and 2 sticks of 16GB ECC RAM!

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Provantage finally got stocked up: PROVANTAGE: ASRock Inc X570D4U-2L2T Asrock MB X570D4U-2L2T AMD Ryzen MAX128GB DDR4 PCIE uAtx

Over 100 in stock as of right now. I probably should have waited and bought it from them instead of Newegg. I would have saved $40 but at least Newegg has the holiday buyer protection till the end of January and I don’t think Provantage does anything like that.

They also have a regular Open Box X570D4U that is at $281!

Karp

Jan 14, 2019
The stars aligned and I actually had the time to purchase it while it was still in stock. I know i could have waited another month and paid about $40-$50 less on Provantage, but it’s my birthday and I took it as a sign.

It will be matched up with my 5600X (which should be arriving in about 3 weeks), a GTX 1660TI, and 2 sticks of 16GB ECC RAM!

How's the 5600X running? Did you have to update it to the beta BIOS for Ryzen 5000 support?

I just ordered the plain version X570D4U. This board just came into stock today at Newegg. A little pricey and I'm sure it will come down over time, but I have a 5600X arriving Monday that needs a home! The -2L2T seems to be more popular, but I didn't want the onboard 10Gbase-T as I already have a 2x25GbE NIC. This will replace an E-2288G server. Overall it should be more efficient and a bit faster too.

Reactions: ramblinreck47

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
How's the 5600X running? Did you have to update it to the beta BIOS for Ryzen 5000 support?

I just ordered the plain version X570D4U. This board just came into stock today at Newegg. A little pricey and I'm sure it will come down over time, but I have a 5600X arriving Monday that needs a home! The -2L2T seems to be more popular, but I didn't want the onboard 10Gbase-T as I already have a 2x25GbE NIC. This will replace an E-2288G server. Overall it should be more efficient and a bit faster too.
I actually haven’t put it together yet because I was waiting on the 5600X to arrive. It finally came in the mail about 30 minutes ago. It took almost a full month to get here. I’m planning on putting everything together in the next couple of days. I just have to search for my Noctua cooler that came in the mail and got gift wrapped.

I’m actually converting to Team Red from a C246 CPU as well. I had an E-2278G/X11SCA-F combo that I sold to go this route.That CPU was great but I wanted to have a little more freedom to upgrade in the future. I still have a X11SCA-F and i3-8100 for my backup server and I’m trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I think I might end up using the i3-8100 in a PFSense build and then get a used i9-9900 to run a combination of several VM’s.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
So, everything has been running great with my Ryzen 5 5600X, 2 x 16GB ECC KSM32ES8/16ME (on QVL), and X570D4U-2L2T…but

I’ve recently come across information though that says it’s generally preferred to have dual rank memory for Ryzen. These two KSM32ES8/16ME are single rank at 3200 mhz. If I were to get two more sticks, I’d be using the full bandwidth. But with only two sticks, I’m leaving some performance on the table. I’m sure that 32GB of RAM will probably be more than enough for me with running lots of docker containers and handling transcoding.

Would it be worth the extra performance to submit a RMA to Provantage and get two KSM32ED8/16ME’s (dual rank version) instead? They cost almost exactly the same but they’re not on the QVL (although the 2666 mhz version (KSM26ED8/16ME) is).

I like that they’re working well but I’m worried that I’m not fully getting my money’s worth with this RAM. Any thoughts?

On a separate note: I’m going to return my X11SCA-F in my backup server and go all in on the X470D4U (right now is $200 on Newegg). It might not be ATX but it still offers a lot of room for expansion and can go all the way up to 16 cores/32 threads. Probably going to go with a Ryzen 7 2700(X) to start and see what I can do with some VM’s in UnRAID.

Karp

Jan 14, 2019
So, everything has been running great with my Ryzen 5 5600X, 2 x 16GB ECC KSM32ES8/16ME (on QVL), and X570D4U-2L2T…but

I’ve recently come across information though that says it’s generally preferred to have dual rank memory for Ryzen. These two KSM32ES8/16ME are single rank at 3200 mhz. If I were to get two more sticks, I’d be using the full bandwidth. But with only two sticks, I’m leaving some performance on the table. I’m sure that 32GB of RAM will probably be more than enough for me with running lots of docker containers and handling transcoding.

Would it be worth the extra performance to submit a RMA to Provantage and get two KSM32ED8/16ME’s (dual rank version) instead? They cost almost exactly the same but they’re not on the QVL (although the 2666 mhz version (KSM26ED8/16ME) is).

I like that they’re working well but I’m worried that I’m not fully getting my money’s worth with this RAM. Any thoughts?

On a separate note: I’m going to return my X11SCA-F in my backup server and go all in on the X470D4U (right now is $200 on Newegg). It might not be ATX but it still offers a lot of room for expansion and can go all the way up to 16 cores/32 threads. Probably going to go with a Ryzen 7 2700(X) to start and see what I can do with some VM’s in UnRAID.
Almost done (for now) with my 5600X server upgrade on the X570D4U. I'm running the 2x16GB ECC KSM32ED8/16ME you mentioned. As you said, they're not on the QVL. I haven't done any real testing with them, but they seem to be working fine. BIOS (beta 1.04) picked them right up on the first boot as 3200 with no issues. I figured ASRR only tests a very limited sample of RAM. These looked like a safe bet since the other Kingston ECC varieties of single and dual rank dimms were on the QVL and they all use the same Micron E-die. I'd do the upgrade to dual rank if you can. Also, I wouldn't go for additional sticks. The table on page 22 of the manual notes that 4 dimms of single rank has a maximum frequency support of only 2933. That limitation is probably greater than the performance difference between DR and SR dimms.

You also mentioned going with the X470D4U for a backup server. I had that board too but I just didn't have good luck with it. I had issues with it trying to run Windows Server 2019 with a 3700X. Most of my troubles were display issues between the graphics card and onboard VGA. I then turned it into a workstation running Win 10 Pro for Workstations thinking some of the problem was the Server OS which isn't officially stated as supported by ASRR (same with X570D4U though too). The X470D4U was still a pain and I eventually gave up on it and replaced it with a B550 that's been great ever since. The X470D4U is also a strange board when it comes to the M.2 slots. They only do PCIe 3.0 x2 and PCIe 2.0 x4. I knew that going in and used m.2 drives on PCIe adapter cards. The X570D4U is just so much better with PCIe 4.0 everywhere. It would be my choice over the X470D4U any day even if it is on sale.

Reactions: ramblinreck47

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Almost done (for now) with my 5600X server upgrade on the X570D4U. I'm running the 2x16GB ECC KSM32ED8/16ME you mentioned. As you said, they're not on the QVL. I haven't done any real testing with them, but they seem to be working fine. BIOS (beta 1.04) picked them right up on the first boot as 3200 with no issues. I figured ASRR only tests a very limited sample of RAM. These looked like a safe bet since the other Kingston ECC varieties of single and dual rank dimms were on the QVL and they all use the same Micron E-die. I'd do the upgrade to dual rank if you can. Also, I wouldn't go for additional sticks. The table on page 22 of the manual notes that 4 dimms of single rank has a maximum frequency support of only 2933. That limitation is probably greater than the performance difference between DR and SR dimms.

You also mentioned going with the X470D4U for a backup server. I had that board too but I just didn't have good luck with it. I had issues with it trying to run Windows Server 2019 with a 3700X. Most of my troubles were display issues between the graphics card and onboard VGA. I then turned it into a workstation running Win 10 Pro for Workstations thinking some of the problem was the Server OS which isn't officially stated as supported by ASRR (same with X570D4U though too). The X470D4U was still a pain and I eventually gave up on it and replaced it with a B550 that's been great ever since. The X470D4U is also a strange board when it comes to the M.2 slots. They only do PCIe 3.0 x2 and PCIe 2.0 x4. I knew that going in and used m.2 drives on PCIe adapter cards. The X570D4U is just so much better with PCIe 4.0 everywhere. It would be my choice over the X470D4U any day even if it is on sale.
Thanks for the advice on the RAM! I think that seals my decision to contact Provantage tomorrow and see how the return process goes. As long as it’s not a big restocking fee, I don’t mind paying a few more dollars for better RAM and shipping.

As for the X470D4U, I believe I know what I’m getting into. I originally wanted to go with it when it first came out and have been following info on it ever since. Since it’s for my backup/VM server, I’m fine with doing a lot of tinkering and quirks. If I end up having to give up on it, hopefully the PAUL card from ASRock Rack will be out and I can use it on a cheap, used X470 Taichi or equivalent.

lostmind

Jan 5, 2013

Hey Karp!

Did you have any issues with the beta BIOS needed on the X570D4U to run the 5600x and getting the BMC to function?

Karp

Jan 14, 2019
Hey Karp!

Did you have any issues with the beta BIOS needed on the X570D4U to run the 5600x and getting the BMC to function?
No issues at all that I've run into. I updated BIOS via IPMI and so far it's been a trouble free board. Running 24/7 for about a month now on Windows Server 2019 Essentials. OS Drive is an Optane 905p m.2 380GB, data is on a WD SN850 1TB. One thing that surprised me was that CDM benchmarks on the Optane OS drive went up about 10% and 20% respectively on random 4K read and writes with the Ryzen 5600X vs the E-2288G that I was using previously. I expect this must be due to the increased single thread performance.

lostmind

Jan 5, 2013
No issues at all that I've run into. I updated BIOS via IPMI and so far it's been a trouble free board. Running 24/7 for about a month now on Windows Server 2019 Essentials. OS Drive is an Optane 905p m.2 380GB, data is on a WD SN850 1TB. One thing that surprised me was that CDM benchmarks on the Optane OS drive went up about 10% and 20% respectively on random 4K read and writes with the Ryzen 5600X vs the E-2288G that I was using previously. I expect this must be due to the increased single thread performance.
Interesting! I am running the beta bios and it has no fw for the BMC.

So no remote access.

I tried manually loading the BMC fw, but it didn't work out.

Karp

Jan 14, 2019
Interesting! I am running the beta bios and it has no fw for the BMC.

So no remote access.

I tried manually loading the BMC fw, but it didn't work out.
Is it the X570D4U or X570D4U-2L2T? I never tried uploading the BMC file separately. I just upgraded to the beta BIOS that was available for 5600X compatibility. Possibly try connecting via the other LAN port. Attached screenshot shows fw versions.

X570D4U IMPI.png

lostmind

Jan 5, 2013
It's the X570D4U.I think the board is broken. I'm going to try for an RMA, which is a pain as I waited for this board since... november. Good thing it's for a personal project...

Attachments

Daniel Baird

Apr 14, 2021
Man I was going to pull the trigger on the X570D4I soon but this is such a more flexible board. The only thing is I hate boards that require 8 individual SATA cables... but that might be a worthwhile trade off for full sized DIMMs vs. the SODIMMs in the D4I.
I bought two of these to solve that problem
71Y1foPD6iL._AC_SL1500_.jpg