X570D4U-2L2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Insulin

Sep 13, 2020
How did you collect 160Tb of media so far without this or did you buy a system prebuilt?
After my partner got me a Zappiti Ripper for my birthday I went nutz & bought about TEN 14TB external WD drives (My Book & Elements). I got a really good deal for them here in the UK (about £200 per drive - yes I know still expensive!). So I went mad & started ripping everything I could get my hand on ! Its really fast & quick. This will be part of my smart home / home theatre 4K setup. I am getting the 100" Hisense Trichoma Laser TV later this year to go with my inwall sound system. The idea is to "shuck" the drives and use them for the server. Which will be a very slow & painful process but I cant wait till its all done I am fed up with dealing with all those drives on my desk !

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
It’s going to be a slow process transferring the media into Unraid your going to have to start with a couple of blank drives first then as you transfer the media over shuck then wipe and add the drives in the unraid pool as you go.

Reactions: Insulin

Insulin

Sep 13, 2020
It’s going to be a slow process transferring the media into Unraid your going to have to start with a couple of blank drives first then as you transfer the media over shuck then wipe and add the drives in the unraid pool as you go.
I was hoping to create a ZSF pool with maybe 5-6 drives in each VDEF with raid 5 or 6. Its going to be really slow & painful but I dont think I have any other choice. I kinda wish that motherboard supported Intel because I know their quicksynch feature is really good combined with a P200 for HW accelerated transcoding.
I am a noob to all this stuf to be honest this is the first time I plan a project like this

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
I'd like to know why *all* x570 boards do have chipset fans (usually, quit loud), and this one goes away with a microscopic heatsink.

Anyway, for those who live in EU and want this board, CTT.de has it listed at 373 eur. Availability 3-5 working days.

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
I'd like to know why *all* x570 boards do have chipset fans (usually, quit loud), and this one goes away with a microscopic heatsink.

Anyway, for those who live in EU and want this board, CTT.de has it listed at 373 eur. Availability 3-5 working days.
Thanks, IT is the same price Than is US, but in Euro.

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
Hi, did somebody noticed that 3950x and 3800/3800x are missing from the CPU support list. Has somebody tested it if it is a mistake or ti really will not work?
EDIT: 3950x was on the bottom of the table but 3800 is still missing :)

I have more than 8 drives and I am wondering of if it will be possible to have the following conversion: M.2 --> SFF-8643 --> 4x SATA cable. Has anybody tested it? In some of the other Asrock RAck MB for Ryzen there is statement like "4 SATA via optional M2-HD M.2 device". I couldn't find what is this M2-HD device though.

Thanks.

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I'm not sure what list you're looking at but I can definitely see the 3950X on it at the bottom. I'm almost certain if you asked their support, they'd confirm the 3800's would work on it too.

If you're talking about one of those M.2 adapters that is basically a PCIe SATA card I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Hi, did somebody noticed that 3950x and 3800/3800x are missing from the CPU support list. Has somebody tested it if it is a mistake or ti really will not work?
EDIT: 3950x was on the bottom of the table but 3800 is still missing :)

I have more than 8 drives and I am wondering of if it will be possible to have the following conversion: M.2 --> SFF-8643 --> 4x SATA cable. Has anybody tested it? In some of the other Asrock RAck MB for Ryzen there is statement like "4 SATA via optional M2-HD M.2 device". I couldn't find what is this M2-HD device though.

Thanks.
No one has tested it because this motherboard hasn't been released yet. The 3800X missing is probably just an oversight though.

The M2-HD card isn't on their website, but it is in their 2020 catalog.

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 5.59.22 PM.png

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
No one has tested it because this motherboard hasn't been released yet. The 3800X missing is probably just an oversight though.

The M2-HD card isn't on their website, but it is in their 2020 catalog.

View attachment 16005
This is exactly the converter I had in mind at first place. This is really great option when I decide to retire my Skylake SP. Lets hope the Ryzen 3 bumps the 128GB memory limit :D

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Isn't that just an M.2 to U.2 adapter though...? Different connectors, but same protocol. I wouldn't have thought it would work with an SFF 8643 -> 4x SATA breakout unless there's a PCIe SAS/SATA controller chip there.

I doubt Zen 3 will break the 128GB barrier - 32GB UDIMMs are already a rarity and I don't see anyone rushing to make 64GB UDIMMs so close to DDR5 appearing.

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
Isn't that just an M.2 to U.2 adapter though...? Different connectors, but same protocol. I wouldn't have thought it would work with an SFF 8643 -> 4x SATA breakout unless there's a PCIe SAS/SATA controller chip there.

I doubt Zen 3 will break the 128GB barrier - 32GB UDIMMs are already a rarity and I don't see anyone rushing to make 64GB UDIMMs so close to DDR5 appearing.
There is SATA controller -> in the X570 chipset ;). Also the Asrock M2-HD card which is advertised as 4x SATA splitter doesn't seems to have a controller. I did a bit more digging and this MB ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace has U2 connector. And according to Manuel Marini comment for this SFF-8643 to 4x SATA cable it should work. Of course no guarantee it will work on this board. But hey if you are buying a X570 "server" boarder why not try it o_O
You are right about the 128GB memory limit. The DDR4 standard allows for 64GB UDIMMs but considering at point of the DDR4 lifecycle we are it is unlikely we will any on the market.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
It looks like Provantage doesn't expect to see any stock for this motherboard for the next 1-2 months. They even took down the pre-order listing, and they told me it's not being relisted until they get completely stocked.

Newegg has a page up but it went from Auto-Notify to just Out of Stock.

Does anyone know where in the USA one is available to either pre-order or purchase outright?

PD_ZFS-User

Jul 13, 2018
It looks like Provantage doesn't expect to see any stock for this motherboard for the next 1-2 months. They even took down the pre-order listing, and they told me it's not being relisted until they get completely stocked.

Newegg has a page up but it went from Auto-Notify to just Out of Stock.

Does anyone know where in the USA one is available to either pre-order or purchase outright?
I came across this company in previous searches for an Asrock motherboard, but I don’t have any experience dealing with them. IIRC, you are not able to purchase from them by credit card nor paypal. Perhaps other members have experience with Game PC that they will share.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
I came across this company in previous searches for an Asrock motherboard, but I don’t have any experience dealing with them. IIRC, you are not able to purchase from them by credit card nor paypal. Perhaps other members have experience with Game PC that they will share.

Yeah, it's hard to tell if that website/company is legit. They're also significantly more expensive. Reseller rating is also not very good.

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Called about the X570D4U-2L2T availability in the US. William said that there is over 200 in stock in their warehouse. He told me to give ASI and Ma Labs a call to see if they could get me one. They’re more for large companies so I might just wait till they come to Amazon or Newegg. The fact that there is a lot already in the country hopefully means it won’t be long before I can order one.

Has anyone had any experience with Ma Labs or ASI?

EDIT: George from the Sales department said it should be up on Newegg and is working with them to get it available to purchase. Hopefully very soon.

Last edited:

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Got an email from Meg in Sales:

“ We have sufficient stock of X570D4U-2L2T to fulfill all disti partner ASI and Ma Labs, and e-commerce New Egg.

Our official disti partner ASI serve Provantage and Ma Labs serve Amazon.

Please help to reach out to your prefer reseller/retailer for ordering process and we’ll fulfill them as soon as available.”

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I wonder if anyone with asrock rack X570 boards got their hands on ryzen 5000?
Small box with ryzen 5000 and 10gbit network looks tempting to me. Might end up being too got though.

Insulin

Sep 13, 2020
Hey guys

Sorry to be such a big noob guys. Please I need some guidance. I have just recieved my motherboard from Germany (www.sona.de). I didnt buy anything else yet.

Purpose of server:
1) High end gaming via windows virtual machine with GPU passthrough via UNRAID
2) Plex media server
3) Virtual machines to run my UniFI stuff / home automation etc

The server hardware I am thinking about

1) Support 24 HDD's in a rack mount case (around 360TB)
2) Install a high end GPU (maybe liquid cooled for space purposes) RX 6900XT
3) Run Unrain in ZFS, like Gamer Nexus (
)
4) Install four Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz ECC Unbuffered Memory RAM DIMM
5) Ryzen 5950x or 3950x
6) Noctua NH-D15 Black
7) Samsung 980 NVME

Questions I have:
1) Have I just f***** this whole thing up ? Is there a space for my GPU & the CPU fan to fit into this board ?
2) Should I have gone for the Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME board instead ?
3) Can the HDMI output directly into my TV to play plex ?
4) Is it a HDMI 2.1 ?

Sorry for the stupid noob questions guys

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Hey guys

Sorry to be such a big noob guys. Please I need some guidance. I have just recieved my motherboard from Germany (www.sona.de). I didnt buy anything else yet.

Purpose of server:
1) High end gaming via windows virtual machine with GPU passthrough via UNRAID
2) Plex media server
3) Virtual machines to run my UniFI stuff / home automation etc

The server hardware I am thinking about

1) Support 24 HDD's in a rack mount case (around 360TB)
2) Install a high end GPU (maybe liquid cooled for space purposes) RX 6900XT
3) Run Unrain in ZFS, like Gamer Nexus (
)
4) Install four Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz ECC Unbuffered Memory RAM DIMM
5) Ryzen 5950x or 3950x
6) Noctua NH-D15 Black
7) Samsung 980 NVME

Questions I have:
1) Have I just f***** this whole thing up ? Is there a space for my GPU & the CPU fan to fit into this board ?
2) Should I have gone for the Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME board instead ?
3) Can the HDMI output directly into my TV to play plex ?
4) Is it a HDMI 2.1 ?

Sorry for the stupid noob questions guys
It's okay to ask questions. You usually do this before purchasing everything though, but I can walk you through this.

Purpose of sever: You should be good here. Since the motherboard's BMC has a video output, you shouldn't in theory pass through whatever GPU to a VM. Just be aware though that the RX 6900XT is brand new and there might not be a lot of documentation on passing it through to a VM just yet. The 5000 series had a reset bug that these new ones don't appear to have but who knows what else might pop up.

Server hardware: This all looks good except for a couple of potential issues. First, your case and how you connect the drives could be a concern. Since you'll likely have your PCIE 4.0 x1 slot blocked by a 2x slot GPU, you'll be relying on just your 8x SATA ports, 1x M.2 (the other one is taken up by your 980 NVME), and the PCIE 4.0 x8 to handle all your drives. If you're using a Supermicro 846 with an expander backplane, then all you will need is a LSI 9211-8i ( or similar HBA) and a single/double SAS connection to the backplane. If you're trying to connect 24x SATA connections, you're going to have to pony up for a LSI 9201-16i or something similar along with using all of your 8x SATA ports on the motherboard. Second, I would take a look at the direction of your Noctua cooler and the size dimensions. Since you are using a rackmount case, the Noctua cooler you chose will be pushing air perpendicular to the case airflow. This is not ideal and the cooler can only mount in that one particular way. You also need to make sure it's not going to block any RAM slots if you plan on filling up all 4 slots. Finally, your Noctua cooler is very tall and unless you're using a 5U or 6U rackmount case, it is going to be too tall to fit with the top panel on.

In terms of using ZFS in UnRAID, all I have to ask is why? Do you have a particular need for ZFS in UnRAID? If not, I would just use UnRAID as is. ZFS is not officially supported and isn’t fully integrated. Wendell knows what he’s doing with ZFS and doesn’t have any trouble with trying new things with it. Unless you’re well versed in ZFS and Linux commands, I’d stay away from using the plugin. If you truly need ZFS, going with TrueNAS is the better option. UnRAID doesn’t have snapshots or bit rot protection, but if you’re just using the server for VM’s and media, the XFS file system with parity should be adequate.

Questions:
1) You should be okay. Just think through how everything will fit and how many slots you truly need available to use all the hard drives you hope to use.
2) You could have but you'd lose the on-board 10gig and IPMI.
3) I don't think this is possible. Plex is a media server that relies on an internet/LAN connection. You simply need to attach a ethernet cable to your physical server and then access your Plex media over Wifi or ethernet connection on your video player. It's not meant for direct access. **You are making a good choice with using Unraid and Plex together though since it is very easy to setup, maintain, and backup.
4) I'm not sure what version of HDMI it is but if you're not using a G-model AMD CPU, it doesn't matter because it won't be available to be used. The HDMI is only there to be used if there is an internal GPU inside your CPU. Most AMD Ryzen models don't have an internal GPU. The models you listed, don't have an internal GPU. If you want to get a video output from the server, you could use the VGA port that comes from the ASPEED BMC module.

Last edited: