X570 pci gen4 and hba advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spagno

May 11, 2022
Hello people,
I'm building my new nas using a x570m pro4 motherboard. The pcie 4.0 x16 slot will be used for a asus hyper to have 4x nvme. The other x16 slot (4x electrical) will be used for a 10gbe adaptor and that's fine. Now we come in topic: the mobo seems to have a problem with a sata port so i though to use the second m2 (which is pcie 4.0 x4) with a riser card to 8x and i'm wondering if a hba pcie gen3 (like a lsi 3008) will work correctly without losing performance. Theoretically gen4 x4 should have the same performance than gen3 x8 so with a riser card from m2 to pcie 8x it should work... suggestion? Tips?

Thanks

Spagno

May 11, 2022
ok, i studied a little and from a gen4 x4 i can get a gen3 x4 but with the right riser card also a pci gen3 x8 hba should fit and if the math is ok, it should be enough for 8x sata 3 disks, any tip/advice/experience?

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
... Tips?
Tip: Whether riser card or riser cable, look for the PCIe slot to be open ended (so that, e.g., a x8 card can *fit* in the/a x4 slot).
Also, I present the following to raise your awareness to their existence: not as explicit suggestions/solutions; several variations of each exist. (Keep studying/learning ...)
M.2 - PCIe x4 (open) riser cable [Link]
M.2 - 5xSATA controller [Link]
M.2 - PCIe x4 riser card, open-ended [Link]

Reactions: jdnz

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
Tip: Whether riser card or riser cable, look for the PCIe slot to be open ended (so that, e.g., a x8 card can *fit* in the/a x4 slot).
Also, I present the following to raise your awareness to their existence: not as explicit suggestions/solutions; several variations of each exist. (Keep studying/learning ...)
M.2 - PCIe x4 (open) riser cable [Link]
M.2 - 5xSATA controller [Link]
M.2 - PCIe x4 riser card, open-ended [Link]
I just looked on the asrock product page and you can see the x4 slot is indeed open ended

depending on what 10gbe card is being used I’d think about putting the 10gbe in the x4 ( if it’s an older model like an x540-t2/x520-da2 they’re pcie2x8 - but will work just fine with no loss of speed if you’re only using one of the two 10gbe ports )

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
I just looked on the asrock product page and you can see the x4 slot is indeed open ended

depending on what 10gbe card is being used I’d think about putting the 10gbe in the x4 ( if it’s an older model like an x540-t2/x520-da2 they’re pcie2x8 - but will work just fine with no loss of speed if you’re only using one of the two 10gbe ports )
The slot you're referencing is x1 (mech & elec); being open-ended *will* allow a 10gbe card to fit, but until/unless you use a Gen4 card, you won't see full 10gbe.

Spagno

May 11, 2022
looking the motherboard reference:
- 2 x PCI Express 4.0 x16 Slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1); dual at x16 (PCIE1) / x4 (PCIE3))*

so, in the x16 PCIE1 asus hyper
in the x16 PCIE3 (which now goes x4 because PCIE1 is used) - 10 gbe adaptor

1 x Hyper M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s)

with a reiser card i'll use this unused socket to have another pcie 4.0 x4 which i'll use for the HBA

i like more the idea to use just one controller for all the disks, i would prefer to use a lsi 3008 controller instead of the 5xsata controller

i mean, pcie 4x gen3 is 4GB/s, the sata disks should be 500-600MB/s each and i don't think to use all the 8 drives all the same time all at their theoretical top speed

i mean, the math is good or am i missing anything?

well, to be sure to use all the gen4 x4 i should buy a new gen4 hba so i would have 8GB/s and that's it :D

Last edited:

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
... with a reiser card i'll use this unused socket to have another pcie 4.0 x4 which i'll use for the HBA

i like more the idea to use just one controller for all the disks, i would prefer to use a lsi 3008 controller instead of the 5xsata controller
It is perfectly fine to use a M2-PCIe_x4 riser card (open-end) to hold a PCIe Gen3 x8 HBA (running @ x4). (I pointed out the M2-5xSATA as a potential alternative which, while only 5 drives, has no cooling concerns; also is a cleaner install with fewer likely issues with attachment, obstructions and cabling [than a riser/HBA].)

Also, consider a LSI2308 HBA instead of 3008. Less $$ and same performance unless you are planning to use SAS3 SSDs and/or a SAS3 expander.

And, regressing ...
Now we come in topic: the mobo seems to have a problem with a sata port ...
Just what is missing/broken (or the source of confusion)?

Spagno

May 11, 2022
It is perfectly fine to use a M2-PCIe_x4 riser card (open-end) to hold a PCIe Gen3 x8 HBA (running @ x4). (I pointed out the M2-5xSATA as a potential alternative which, while only 5 drives, has no cooling concerns; also is a cleaner install with fewer likely issues with attachment, obstructions and cabling [than a riser/HBA].)

Also, consider a LSI2308 HBA instead of 3008. Less $$ and same performance unless you are planning to use SAS3 SSDs and/or a SAS3 expander.
thanks for the tip. Actually I have the LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i 8-port SAS SATA LSI00200 Server RAID Controller Card from the old nas that i could use... or it's just too old? :D

And, regressing ...

Just what is missing/broken (or the source of confusion)?
if i attach everything, the disk in the sata7 port gives a lot of I/O error, this is why i'm wondering if i should use a hba or not

UhClem

Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
thanks for the tip. Actually I have the LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i 8-port SAS SATA LSI00200 Server RAID Controller Card from the old nas that i could use... or it's just too old? :D
That is PCIe Gen2. At x4 lanes, it would have a throughput ceiling of 1400-1600 MB/s (reality [vs theory]).
if i attach everything, the disk in the sata7 port gives a lot of I/O error, this is why i'm wondering if i should use a hba or not
Have you done proper troubleshooting (e.g., by swapping the disk-and-cable between ports 6 & 7? [It is possible, but very unlikely, to have a flaky sata port on a mobo.]

Spagno

May 11, 2022
That is PCIe Gen2. At x4 lanes, it would have a throughput ceiling of 1400-1600 MB/s (reality [vs theory]).

Have you done proper troubleshooting (e.g., by swapping the disk-and-cable between ports 6 & 7? [It is possible, but very unlikely, to have a flaky sata port on a mobo.]
yes, i tried to swap disks, i tried to swap cable and always the disk in that port fails

duncandoo

Aug 17, 2022
Hi, I have the same problem and am also looking for a solution. I've described my problem and efforts to fix it here and here. I've also exchanged quite few emails with ASRock technical support, who have replaced the board, but the new board has the same problem. If there's now three boards with the same problem that seems a bit too much of a coincidence.

Do you have any more detailed information on the SATA3_7 port problem you have experienced? Found any way to make it work?