x3650 M3 X5650 idle power consumption?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PanamaATX

Oct 11, 2017
Hi, new to servers. Recently picked up an x3650 M3 to mine monero. Was surprised to see the high idle power consumption. Wanted to know typical idle power consumption of this machine.

It's configured with 24GB and 2xX3650. I have power set to low in the BIOS. Latest firmware. Any info. on optimization and what I should expect would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
It's from 2010 it's going to idle high.

It's not just the CPU the chipset from that generation sucks power.

PanamaATX

Oct 11, 2017
It's from 2010 it's going to idle high.

It's not just the CPU the chipset from that generation sucks power.
Yes, I'm aware the X58 does pull more power than more modern chipsets. That being said, a review of the system showed better idle performance than I'm getting, article shows 144W idle, I'm getting 175W.
I thought maybe it was the power supply. I had the standard 675W PSU and decided to get some of the HE 675W PSU. Power consumption didn't change at all. :(

Also figured folks might have some suggestions on how to optimize the power consumption. Turn of certain things ect...

Regards,

Mike

Reactions: Tha_14

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Yes, I'm aware the X58 does pull more power than more modern chipsets. That being said, a review of the system showed better idle performance than I'm getting, article shows 144W idle, I'm getting 175W.
I thought maybe it was the power supply. I had the standard 675W PSU and decided to get some of the HE 675W PSU. Power consumption didn't change at all. :(

Also figured folks might have some suggestions on how to optimize the power consumption. Turn of certain things ect...

Regards,

Mike
Typicaly features that enable C6, C7 etc. states save some power since the cpu(s) are going to lower their clock speed. Also stuff like Intel SpeedStep if your mainboard supports it. You can also set the APM for the hard drives or if you want them to be turned off when they are not bein used. Multiple RAM modules can greatly increase the power consumption. Also, PCI and PCIE cards can draw some power aswell as the fans that ramp up when PCI/PCI-E cards are being detected by the bios. It really depends on your configuration and the use of the server. If you are only going to use it for monero mining then you can safely only use a hard drive/ssd and a a RAM module(with enough capacity) and you should already be consuming less power.

PS: For obvious reasons I will not include hardware modding.

Reactions: PanamaATX

PanamaATX

Oct 11, 2017
Typicaly features that enable C6, C7 etc. states save some power since the cpu(s) are going to lower their clock speed. Also stuff like Intel SpeedStep if your mainboard supports it. You can also set the APM for the hard drives or if you want them to be turned off when they are not bein used. Multiple RAM modules can greatly increase the power consumption. Also, PCI and PCIE cards can draw some power aswell as the fans that ramp up when PCI/PCI-E cards are being detected by the bios. It really depends on your configuration and the use of the server. If you are only going to use it for monero mining then you can safely only use a hard drive/ssd and a a RAM module(with enough capacity) and you should already be consuming less power.

PS: For obvious reasons I will not include hardware modding.
Thanks for the response. I have actually taken some of those steps. I'm only running 1 SSD drive, 24 GB of RAM. Minimum I think to take advantage of triple channel memory. It's pretty bare and was the reason I was a bit surprised. I'm going to look at turning off the extra gigabit connections.

Don't think I have any sort of speedstep capability, but will look.

Mike

Reactions: Tha_14