X11SCV-L or X11SCL-iF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maierkomor

Aug 5, 2020
My RasPi does a nice as a home server, but it has its limitations. Therefore I am considering of stepping up to a small box with either the X11SCV-L or the X11SCL-iF. But I have two questions, I hope somebody may be able to answer:

1) Is it possible to operate the BIOS and boot process via an RS232 connection on the X11SCV-L? Reading the manual, I got that impression, but I am not quite sure...

2) How does the X11SVC-L compare to the X11SCL-iF concerning idle power consumption? From what I have read the X11SCL-iF consumes at least 25W idling, but it has IPMI and an C242 which probably contribute a good amount to that value. Shuttle barebones with H310 seem to achieve 10W idling with an i3, so I hope the H310 based board is less power hungry.

I am considering to use a G5420 or so, but have not decided finally yet.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Regards,
Thomas

fckruegel

May 27, 2020
I'd recommend something with IPMI hardware and an Atom 3000 procesor. These are very low-power systems (25W TDP for the SOC) and ideal for small servers or NAS.

I've got this one

with 8 6T SATA drives, 32G of RAM and an NVMe SSD as boot drive. The board hast 12 SATA ports and two 10G LAN ports, so it is quite capable.

fchk

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
You'll need a box with IPMI in order to use the serial console during boot I believe, as I think only IPMI provides the SoL facilities. IPMI will generally add 3-5W to your base idle power consumption; that's unavoidable, as you're essentially running a whole separate OS-on-a-chip for the IPMI functions.

Assuming you don't need the single-threaded performance, I'd second fckruegel's recommendation of a C3000 board. On the face of it they're quite expensive in terms of computing power vs. cost but they're very well integrated and use very little power when idle. I'm a big fan of the A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F myself for light NAS/home server/virtualisation duties (as a 1Gb model it uses even less power than the 10Gb models). My own A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F idles at about 25-30W with a couple of SATA SSDs in operation. I could certainly have got that figure down lower by using a lower-wattage PSU or a direct DC converter or a picoPSU, but it's now in a case with eight HDDs so I need the available current for spin-up.

maierkomor

Aug 5, 2020
Hmm, I've been looking at the C3000 boards, too. But I neither need 4 LANs nor 10GB/s, as all clients are behind WiFi access-points. Bundling 2 1GB/s ports is totally enough. Additionally, my setup can do easily with 2 harddisks and 2 ssds (assuming I can attach 2 ssds in a PCI-E slot with an AOC or via SATA ports). The X11SCL-iF is absolutely fine for this, but the H310 based variant could also do, if the BIOS can redirect its output to RS232 (i.e. not Serial-Over-LAN). I plan to attach an RS232 to WiFi converter, I am building myself.

I guess the use-case of redirecting the console to RS232 without IPMI is rather seldom. So maybe I just need to give it a try...

rootgremlin

Jun 9, 2016
regarding the pre-boot console over serial....
all intel-supermicro boards i had heald in my hands could do that after you activeted it in the bios.

after all, supermicro makes lots of custom boards for hardware-appliances which most of them do not have any kind of video output.
and finally, all the serverboards have a fixed 9pin serial port in the atx backplate. those boards definitively have the ability to output the bios,- and preboot -screen over serial