X10SRL-F Woes again - two hard lock ups in one week :(

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
So I had the system below running for one week as a workstation and experienced two hard lockup.

Mobo:
X10SRL-F (latest bios)
CPU: E5 2696 v3 OME
RAM: 4X8GB Crucial DDR4 ECC (CT8G4RFS4213)
GPU: ASUS GTX 1050ti Strix
PSU: Bequiet 750W PSU (80 Plus Silver Rated)
HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Wireless Network card - PCE-AC55BT (Running stock Windows 10 Intel WIFI driver)

The screen freezes and become unresponsive, in one occasion the fans start to spin at 100% and even the reset button doesn't work - requiring a power cycle. It happens when the system is in idle which makes it even more baffling. No blue screen or any error logs. I am getting the board replaced to see if that solves the problem. I ran a whole suite of test such as Intel CPU diagnostics, Intel Burn Test, Windows memory diagnostics all without issues.

cliffr

Apr 2, 2017
What stepping is the CPU? Is it retail marked or ES marked?

I think it's an issue with C-state BIOS settings or the PSU.

Little voice in me says "sounds like ryzen"

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
What stepping is the CPU? Is it retail marked or ES marked?

I think it's an issue with C-state BIOS settings or the PSU.

Little voice in me says "sounds like ryzen"
It's a retail CPU with stepping C0/C1 and SSPEC SR1XK

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
The screen freezes and become unresponsive, in one occasion the fans start to spin at 100% and even the reset button doesn't work - requiring a power cycle.
100% fans is normally the protection mechanism triggering when the IPMI / BMC stops responding. As that is a separate management CPU only loosely coupled with the main CPU, I'd look for external factors that are affecting both the Windows CPU and the BMC. Since you say it happens at idle, I wouldn't suspect heat first. This could be either a power supply or power (utility glitch / brownout) problem.

Reactions: Patriot

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
I have been bad power supplies lead to weird PC activity. If you cant narrow this down I'd suggest swapping out PS if you have a spare one.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
I have been bad power supplies lead to weird PC activity. If you cant narrow this down I'd suggest swapping out PS if you have a spare one.
Thanks all for the suggestions - I just ran over 15 hours of Intel Burn test and no system crash...so weird.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
I've swapped out the motherboard and so far no hard lock-ups. Will keep this thread updated.