X10SRL-F bad RAM slot or defective CPU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
So I finally finished building my system and figuring out IPMI and checked the event log. In it I saw the following error:

Failing DIMM: DIMM location (Uncorrectable memory component found) (P1-DIMMC1)

System specs:
Mobo: X10SRL-F (latest bios)
CPU: E5 2696 v3 OME
RAM: 4X8GB Crucial DDR4 ECC (CT8G4RFS4213)
GPU: ASUS GTX 1050ti Strix
PSU: Bequiet 750W PSU (80 Plus Silver Rated)
HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Even windows doesn't recognize the 8GB of RAM in that slot, showing only 22.9GB instead of 32GB. I double checked all the pins on the socket and didn't find any bent or damaged pins. I tried different RAM in the same slot all generating the same error.

I guess the RAM slot is defective in this case? Could it be CPU issue? I did run several pass of Cinebench R15 without any issues and the CPU passed the Intel Diagnostic tool as well.

Danic

Feb 6, 2015
jrdm.us
Will the system boot with single stick of ram in the 'damaged' slot? If not, it is the motherboard.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Will the system boot with single stick of ram in the 'damaged' slot? If not, it is the motherboard.
Thanks for the suggestion and I just tried this and indeed the five short beep + one long beep appeared. (
No memory detected in the system)

I guess this means the slot is defective and I can rule out its a CPU issue?

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Just wanted to update this thread. This motherboard doesn't have the standard ATX hole mount and one motherboard standoff in the case that follows the standard layout is shorting the problematic DIMM solder contact. After removing the standoff everything if working fine and fortunately with no permanent damage.

Gio

Apr 8, 2017
I had this same issue today and this thread was super helpful. The screw was too tight near the DIMM making the bad contact.

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
Just had this with a new X11sph MB . Failing DIMM location (correctable memory component found) DIMMD1. System booted fine. BIOS and system detects all memory, Memtest86, fine. Tested with different working DIMMs, CPU and even made sure there was no errant chassis risers lurking underneath. RMA-ing back to Supermicro in Taiwan (I'm in Australia) no issues even though I bought from an eBay seller in the USA.

Ixian

Oct 26, 2018
I'm glad this thread resurfaced! I have a new (used) X10DRI with 2 E5-2680v3 and 128gb of Samsung DDR4 RDIMMS and got the failing DIMM error message for P1-DIMMA1; switching it out with known good memory produced the same error for the same slot. I did all the usual tricks, cleaned the slot with a coffee filter, reset bios, updated it, re-seated the RDIMMs, and so on, no good.

Then searching around I found this thread. Since I got the CPUs used I figured they might have been dirty even though I inspected them and the CPU slots. So I took out CPU1 (since it is the CPU attached to that memory slot) cleaned the bottom gold contacts with another coffee filter and some 91% isopropyl alcohol, let it dry, and put it back in. Problem solved! No more message, all my memory shows up, and I'm one pass in and counting on Memtest with no errors. Thanks! I would never have thought of a dirty CPU being the problem.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I'm glad this thread resurfaced! I have a new (used) X10DRI with 2 E5-2680v3 and 128gb of Samsung DDR4 RDIMMS and got the failing DIMM error message for P1-DIMMA1; switching it out with known good memory produced the same error for the same slot. I did all the usual tricks, cleaned the slot with a coffee filter, reset bios, updated it, re-seated the RDIMMs, and so on, no good.

Then searching around I found this thread. Since I got the CPUs used I figured they might have been dirty even though I inspected them and the CPU slots. So I took out CPU1 (since it is the CPU attached to that memory slot) cleaned the bottom gold contacts with another coffee filter and some 91% isopropyl alcohol, let it dry, and put it back in. Problem solved! No more message, all my memory shows up, and I'm one pass in and counting on Memtest with no errors. Thanks! I would never have thought of a dirty CPU being the problem.
Awesome! Glad it helped. We've had this issue crop up a lot. the cpus usually look clean on bottom, but sure enough, cleaning them with alcohol anyway will often do the trick. Now we clean all our cpus before installation because the "dirty" ones usually don't look dirty. Way faster to clean them before install than to troubleshoot memory issues.

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
Just wanted to update this thread. This motherboard doesn't have the standard ATX hole mount and one motherboard standoff in the case that follows the standard layout is shorting the problematic DIMM solder contact. After removing the standoff everything if working fine and fortunately with no permanent damage.
Thank, this thread just saved me a whole lot of hastle!

Just installed a Supermicro X10SRL-F and got caught with the non-standard motherboard holes. - The standoff in my case was shorting out the DIMM slot causing the error described above.

Removed the mounting point and now all is well :) Thanks!

Reactions: Tha_14

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Awesome! Glad it helped. We've had this issue crop up a lot. the cpus usually look clean on bottom, but sure enough, cleaning them with alcohol anyway will often do the trick. Now we clean all our cpus before installation because the "dirty" ones usually don't look dirty. Way faster to clean them before install than to troubleshoot memory issues.
I'm experiencing the same issue as above, but with a twist.
I just upgraded from a E5-2600 v3 (1866mhz ram speed) to a E5-2600 v4 cpu w/2400mhz ram speed. I've had DDR4 2400mhz ram in the machine for the past couple of years and it's been solid, but it only ran at 1866mhz since that is all the E5 v3 would support. The new E5 v4 I replaced it with is rated for 2400mhz ram. With the ram speed setting on auto or 2400, the bios is now throwing the following error:

"Failing DIMM: DIMM location (Uncorrectable memory component found) (DIMMA1)"
My board only sees 3 of 4 DDR4 modules @ 2400mhz.
Board: X10SRH-CLN4F (latest v3.2 bios)
CPU: E5-2680 v4
Ram: 128GB 4x Supermicro/Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC (DDR4-2400, 32GB ea.) (DIMMA1, DIMMB1, DIMMC1, DIMMD1 populated).

I have cleaned the CPU contacts with alcohol on the bottom of the CPU, but that has not resolved the issue. I have also swapped ram sticks around to different DIMM slots and the error remains with DIMMA1, so I'm confident it is not bad ram.
Strangely, and here's the twist - I can get all 4 sticks of DDR4 2400mhz to be recognized and the board boots just fine if I downclock the ram one step down from 2400 to 2133mhz. The E5-2680v4 w/4x 32GB DDR4 2400mhz ram modules is rock solid at 2133mhz.
So evidently the DIMMA1 is at least still functional, as well as that corresponding channel on the CPU (presumably).

Anything else I can try to troubleshoot this?

Hrast

Oct 5, 2013
Shout out to this thread. I picked up an x10SRL-F and a e5 v4 CPU and got a DIMM1D error message when I booted the system after installing in the case. Swapped memory, no change. Found this thread, booted the board/cpu/memory combo outside the case, no problems.

Taroz79

May 7, 2021
This is an absolutely epic thread! I was fighting with this problem (Failing DIMM: DIMM location Uncorrectable memory component found P2-DIMMG1) on Supermicro X10DRL-i for days! After removing motherboard from the case, error disappeared, all memory is detected and work like a charm. Just remove all metal standoffs from case that are not coresponding to the motherboard holes layout.

dominic

Sep 20, 2016
Just had to say thanks for this thread. I had the same Failing DIMM message when I was adding some more RAM to my X10SRi-F. I was convinced I had a bad slot on my motherboard, but after reading this I decided to take a look at the back. Sure enough there was an unused standoff on my case that was shorting the pins on the back of the DIMM slot. I removed that the RAM is working great. Thanks guys!

rthorntn

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks for the thread, same "uncorrectable" DDR4 RAM issue on a X10DRL-i processor 2 memory slot, tried moving RAM sticks, lowering the memory speeds, cleaning everything and booting out of the case, no dice, ended up swapping processors around, the error moved to P1, I guess thats a CPU gone bad (no scratches on the CPU pads or anything obvious).

The CPU's are E5-2678v3, I picked them up used five years ago, it boots happy with 192GB but its not happy at 224GB or 256GB. I can't remember if this system has ever worked with over 192GB. From a few sources on the internet the 2678 seems to be a custom SKU that Intel created for Facebook because they needed DDR3 support due to the DDR4 shortage back then.

bambo1

Aug 24, 2021
My X11SPi-TF wouldn´t detect memory in slot F1 correctly (all the way at the top of the MB). In the IPMI it showed up with serial number and manufacturer but with size zero.
I was planning to wipe the CPU with alcohol because I thought my MB had a standard ATX layout. But as it turns out there was one standoff in the case below the mentioned RAM slot, shorting some pins. I then remembered I even left the standoff there on purpose, thinking it would be a good support when pusing RAM into to MB... what a bad idea. After removing the standoff everything is perfectly fine.

Just registered to say thank you to you guys!

Phlesh

Sep 11, 2021
I'm experiencing the same issue as above, but with a twist.
I just upgraded from a E5-2600 v3 (1866mhz ram speed) to a E5-2600 v4 cpu w/2400mhz ram speed. I've had DDR4 2400mhz ram in the machine for the past couple of years and it's been solid, but it only ran at 1866mhz since that is all the E5 v3 would support. The new E5 v4 I replaced it with is rated for 2400mhz ram. With the ram speed setting on auto or 2400, the bios is now throwing the following error:

"Failing DIMM: DIMM location (Uncorrectable memory component found) (DIMMA1)"
My board only sees 3 of 4 DDR4 modules @ 2400mhz.
Board: X10SRH-CLN4F (latest v3.2 bios)
CPU: E5-2680 v4
Ram: 128GB 4x Supermicro/Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC (DDR4-2400, 32GB ea.) (DIMMA1, DIMMB1, DIMMC1, DIMMD1 populated).

I have cleaned the CPU contacts with alcohol on the bottom of the CPU, but that has not resolved the issue. I have also swapped ram sticks around to different DIMM slots and the error remains with DIMMA1, so I'm confident it is not bad ram.
Strangely, and here's the twist - I can get all 4 sticks of DDR4 2400mhz to be recognized and the board boots just fine if I downclock the ram one step down from 2400 to 2133mhz. The E5-2680v4 w/4x 32GB DDR4 2400mhz ram modules is rock solid at 2133mhz.
So evidently the DIMMA1 is at least still functional, as well as that corresponding channel on the CPU (presumably).

Anything else I can try to troubleshoot this?
@TXAG26 -- Did you ever figure out what was causing this issue? I'm having a similar issue (slightly different details, but thematically the same).

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
@TXAG26 -- Did you ever figure out what was causing this issue? I'm having a similar issue (slightly different details, but thematically the same).
@Phlesh -- Nope, did not. I chalked it up to something wrong with the CPU or motherboard trace design for that slot. I tried two X10SRH type boards and had the same results. That same CPU and X10SRH has been running rock-solid since April 2020 @ 2133 MHz, haha!