X10SRH-CF fails with Chelsio T520-CR / T520-SO-CR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Scampicfx

May 6, 2017
Dear folks,

I'm reading STH since a long time now and it was great to follow all these interesting topics on this site. So at this point: Thanks for all your time you put into this site!
I like building some home servers and I'm just about to finish my new ZFS server.

Most of the time, it was possible to solve software / hardware problems by googling and searching forums like this one. But today I'm a bit lost and therefore I decided to create a new account at STH. So, hey to everyone :)

To get started:
The most important components of my new ZFS server:

Mainboard: Supermicro X10SRH-CF
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650v4
RAM: 1x 32 GByte ECC RDIMM M393A4K40BB0-CPB
... and some SATA-DOMs of Supermicro.

The server itself boots properly.

Now, let's come to the diffcult thing:
As soon as I plug in Chelsio T520-CR or Chelsio T520-SO-CR into the mainboard, the system freezes during boot proccess at stage "B2". It isn't possible to enter BIOS anymore. It isn't possible to boot from boot disks / usb sticks.

Screen capture:
picture.jpg

The system remains at this point and does not do anything! I've been waiting for 10 minutes and nothing happens!

I tried a lot of different things, however, regardless of what I am doing, each time the system freezes during "Onboard AHCI device configuration ... B2".

Here's a list of things I've done so far:
- I tested Chelsio T520-CR and Chelsio T520-SO-CR in other computers. They are working!
- I updated Chelsio network adapters using other computers to the most recent firmare.
- I tried Chelsio network adapters in different PCIE slots of the mainboard
- I disabled the PCIE slot of the network adapter => it still freezes
- I cleared the CMOS of the supermicro mainboard
- I entered BIOS Recovery Mode and re-flashed BIOS Version 2.0a (most recent one)
- I disabled SATA, sSATA, SAS on the mainboard
- I disabled PXE of the Chelsio network adapters
- I moved both jumpers in order to enable SMB to PCI-E Slots

... and nothing helps!

I dicovered threads like:
Supermicro X9SCL-F hangs on loading option rom
supermicro board Stuck on logo B2.

What I have NOT done so far:
- Downgrading of BIOS
- Trying different network adapters, like Intel

I would like to ask, if there is any further advice out there?

I just can't imagine that there is a hardware compatibility issue between supermicro mainboard and chelsio network adapter, because the Chelsio manual refers to Supermicro mainboards at some points!

So... well... Most probably I've forgotten some points in the lists above because of anger ( ;)), but in case anyone of you has any advice, I would really appreciate to hear about it :)

Thanks for your time so far!

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I assume you also have disabled the option rom for the particular slot? Or is it not getting so far?
Have you contacted SM support yet? They are usually quite helpful.
Had a similar case with another card on a X11 board and they ended up supplying a new Bios version...

Reactions: Patrick

Scampicfx

May 6, 2017
Dear Rand,

that's exactly the solution for this problem ;) I was in contact with Supermicro. They supplied a new BIOS version which fixes this problem. Now it's working! Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Chris

Reactions: Patrick