X10SRH-CF@$200+shipping, E5-2697A v4@89

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
The SAS connectors on the X10SRH-CF are SFF-8643? The manual doesn't specify this, it only says "SAS connectors". Maybe a dumb question but I've only used SATA or PCI-E drives.

Reactions: Samir

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
There's a X10SRL-F for $199 in case anyone's interested.

Dang...it sold exactly 10 minutes after you posted! Coincidence? I think not. ;)

Edit: And no, it wasn't me. Even though it looked all shiny and new, complete with a free bag of dessicant.

Last edited:

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Dang...it sold exactly 10 minutes after you posted! Coincidence? I think not. ;)

Edit: And no, it wasn't me. Even though it looked all shiny and new, complete with a free bag of dessicant.
Yeah, it went fast. I could've saved $27 in shipping if I didn't buy the X10SRH-F, but I got tired of waiting more than a month for a decent deal.

analog900

Mar 30, 2020
I've been looking at these boards for a while now; I nave an ancient X8 in the home lab that serves as a backup server. It really needs to be replaced. I remember two years ago, many here (including myself) bought the X10SRLs for prices below $150. Now I can't find any below $450. Just ridiculous. Are we still dealing with supply chain issues?

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I've been looking at these boards for a while now; I nave an ancient X8 in the home lab that serves as a backup server. It really needs to be replaced. I remember two years ago, many here (including myself) bought the X10SRLs for prices below $150. Now I can't find any below $450. Just ridiculous. Are we still dealing with supply chain issues?
The popular x10 boards tend to have listings sitting at 400-450$ all year and sold at 150-200$ by those getting batches.

analog900

Mar 30, 2020
Here's a X10SRi-F with a short depth chassis, no caddies, for $174 free shipping.

Thank you for pointing me to this. Seller accepted $165 and it arrived a few days ago. The entire chassis and board look absolutely mint. Not a trace of dust or anything. Even caddies, rails and the secure platform module (or whatever it's called) were included. I'm super thrilled. It's a shame I will rip out the board from the chassis - it's too loud with the SM 40mm fans for the home lab, but even so it's a great deal.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Yesterday I got time to test my "new" board, CPU and RAM. I got the X10SRH-CF, E5-2697Av4 and 4x32GB RDIMMS. The board booted but got stuck every time with code B7. I searched and found this error is related to RAM. I tried with only one DIMM but always got the same error. I tried updating the BIOS from the IPMI and also updated the IPMI fimware.

After this the board booted but now I got a different error. No matter what DIMM I installed, slot C1 always complained about an "uncorrectable error" and got disabled. As suggested in various threads and other forums I reseated the CPU, I cleaned and polished the contacts but the error persisted.

I almost gave up on a solution and would settle for 3 channel RAM and 96GB, as installed the fourth DIMM in another slot gave me the "improper memory configuration" error... But I found someone who took the board out of the case and it worked because a case standoff was shorting the memory pins. I took the board out and there's a fixed (non-removable) standoff that was shorting the pins on DIMM C1. Connected everything out of the case and it worked! So besides reseating CPU you can check that if you ever have that error.

I did a quick idle power consumption test and with 4 DIMMS and 1 SATA SSD it idles at around 100-110W in BIOS screen and around 50W when booted into linux. Enabling the onboard SAS controller added around 4W. When powered off it consumes 3W. Seems to be way more efficient than my current SB-EP server (X9SRL-F, E5-2650v2, 8x16GB DDR3L-1866), at least on idle, although don't know the exact figure without all disks.

Anyways, I should have better performance and save a bit on electricity, so I'm happy.

Reactions: Fritz and Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I did a quick idle power consumption test and with 4 DIMMS and 1 SATA SSD it idles at around 100-110W in BIOS screen and around 50W when booted into linux. Enabling the onboard SAS controller added around 4W. When powered off it consumes 3W. Seems to be way more efficient than my current SB-EP server (X9SRL-F, E5-2650v2, 8x16GB DDR3L-1866), at least on idle, although don't know the exact figure without all disks.

Anyways, I should have better performance and save a bit on electricity, so I'm happy.
Great detective work, and nice power numbers. My idle consumption (taken from the wall with a Kill-a-Watt) is the same as yours. I've got less RAM, but the chassis' expander backplane seems to balance it out. My consumption when powered off is a lot more than yours though...mine is around 7 watts. I've got nothing with IPMI, or iDRAC etc., that draws less than 6 watts when powered off.

Reactions: Glock24

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I did a quick idle power consumption test and with 4 DIMMS and 1 SATA SSD it idles at around 100-110W in BIOS screen and around 50W when booted into linux.
With a more efficient psu you can get about 10w lower on the booted 50w.

The sas controller uses 8w but the header does not fully kill power for some reason so does not drop the full 8w.
(from comparisons between -F and -CF boards with same specs)

Glock24

May 13, 2019
With a more efficient psu you can get about 10w lower on the booted 50w.

The sas controller uses 8w but the header does not fully kill power for some reason so does not drop the full 8w.
(from comparisons between -F and -CF boards with same specs)
Yes, I'll install a 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold and I figured power will be a bit lower. I tested with a 450W Antec that I think doesn't even have active PFC.

You say the disabling the SAS controller does not cut power to the controller?

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
You say the disabling the SAS controller does not cut power to the controller?
From the old long thread on these there are some tests with -CF vs -F (only the sas chip in diffrence) on same specs.
And disabling it on the -CF does not drop it down to the wattages -F has, only looked to cut half of wattage the sas chip uses.
should be a thermal image there also showing still heat even if disabled.

Id assume either design flaw or to be able to reactivate it without power cycling.

But the sas chip is its main seller tbh, so not many running it disabled i suppose.

Reactions: Glock24

Glock24

May 13, 2019
From the old long thread on these there are some tests with -CF vs -F (only the sas chip in diffrence) on same specs.
And disabling it on the -CF does not drop it down to the wattages -F has, only looked to cut half of wattage the sas chip uses.
should be a thermal image there also showing still heat even if disabled.

Id assume either design flaw or to be able to reactivate it without power cycling.

But the sas chip is its main seller tbh, so not many running it disabled i suppose.
Right now I have no SAS disks, and my enclosure has only 8 bays, so I'll disable it for the moment. Originally I was looking for the X10SRL-F, but I found this one considerably cheaper so went for it.