X10SDV-TLN4F versus X10SRH-CLN4F for a Storage/Hyper-V server.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bradslinux

Jun 6, 2015
Part of my concern on the processor is the heat generated (an 85W TDP processor will likely generate less heat than a 140W TDP), the power draw (less heat usually indicates less power being used), and the noise level (less heat means the fans could run quieter). That's part of the reason I leaned towards the E5-2600 8 core processor versus the E5-1600 6 core processor. I was considering the "L" variant for a while but a friend talked me out of it as it was slower (1.8Ghz versus 2.4Ghz cores) and it wasn't much lower in TDP rating for the same price.

I hear you regarding the E5-1650 v3 being a faster CPU. The Passmark scores are pretty close though, so I'm not sure it being faster outweighs my other concerns on heat/power/noise. I am currently trying to confirm if Hyper-V will benefit more from 6 cores at a higher clock speed versus 8 cores at a lower clock speed (but with slightly more cache). I have until the end of the day to change my mind because I can cancel my order with Microcenter.

Meanwhile I'm still interested if anyone has experience buying used motherboards off of Ebay. How does the manufacturer warranty work in that scenario? I see the reseller of the one I linked gives a 14 day warranty which isn't much.
Aren't new builds a HOOT! LOL.
About the ebay mobo thing... Over the years I have purchased several motherboards and even complete systems on ebay. I always look at the seller as the deciding factor. Are they a "private entity" or a business using ebay as another sales outlet? I typically steer away from private entities unless they are the only option for the purchase. I have no issues with buying from businesses that just happen to use ebay as an outlet. So far, the issues I have experienced are few and far in between, and since businesses seem to hold their reputations in higher importance, the issues I have run into where very quickly resolved.
If you are able to find what you are looking for on ebay and the seller is reputable, don't think twice about it. But be sure to verify that what you receive is in good working order quickly after you get it.
Brad

Reactions: HotFix

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
T_Minus,

In the past, you and I have had some pretty good exchanges, but for reasons that are not clear to me, my question to HotFix is like a bee in your bonnet. To keep this thread on topic, I will delete my posts in this thread and I ask you delete your posts about my posts in this thread.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Sorry, I wasn't attempting to be rude or harsh but I can see how it came across like that now that I've re-read it.

I wasn't aware your question was about a specific item, and that's why it sounded like you'd solved your own issue :) in your question thread, I wasn't be sarcastic... or was not trying to be. Sorry!

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
Just out of curiosity... What model backplane is in that SC846? Also, what model power supplies are in the SC846?

I've got four Supermicro servers of different generations at home, and it took me a little while to become accustomed to reading model numbers before I learned which backplanes and power supplies are desirable. Now, when I go shopping on Ebay, really great deals turn out to be a waste of money after I read the fine print.
Gecko,

I'm quoting your original post because there is nothing wrong with what you asked me and I think my response might help others in the future if they find and read this thread. If another forum member has a problem with a post, they can choose to report it and let the moderators deal with it (or not), but otherwise should let your question to me in my thread stand. :)

I got the SAS2-846EL1 backplane with mine (it was a PITA to check but worthwhile for me to do so, so thank you for asking me to verify what I got because I hadn't yet), and 2 x 1200 watt gold rated power supplies (model PWS-1K21P-1R). For all intents and purposes it is the following model:
Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 4U | SC846E16-R1200B
They even threw in a brand new (it looks that way anyway) air shroud, and I got it for under $300 shipped after some back and forth. They offered me the unit with 2 x 900 watt power supplies that were unrated for even less, but I chose to go with the rated power supplies.

I was a little nervous about a deal with so many variables and the nuances to learn as you have noted, but after reassurances from those on this forum that it wasn't scary I took the leap and so far am pleased with what I got. You can tell it is used when you get right up on it, but otherwise it looks fine. I am throwing out the caveat that I haven't tested it yet because the motherboard just showed up yesterday and I am still waiting for a few parts to come in so I can take a "before" picture of all the parts prior to assembly and testing. Hopefully everything will be in tomorrow and I can get started. :D

Years ago I was an Ebay junkie, with my pinnacle being a dual Pentium 75 server with 9 x ultra-wide hard drives and a RAID controller that I built for my Exchange 5.5 lab, so I certainly understand your reservation with Ebay purchases. However a reputable dealer will be happy to respond to your questions over Ebay messages prior to purchase. That's how I made sure mine was what I wanted prior to purchase. If they don't want to respond to you or give you adequate answers to your questions then definitely move along.

I certainly couldn't have gotten this far w/o the help of those in this thread and in other threads (which is usually the same great people), so again to all of you who helped me out - thank you!!!

EDIT - Fixed quoting.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Magic Erasers + alcohol make the chassis look new again :) Just be prepared for a haze until you get that off with a paper-towel and some alcohol.

I normally do that to remove all the 'warehouse gunk' that some of these chassis have from being transported, and stored in not so clean environments.

I'm sure you could take it a step further and buff them out to make them shine again even LOL :D

Reactions: HotFix

HotFix

May 20, 2015
Silver Spring MD
blogs.technet.com
Magic Erasers + alcohol make the chassis look new again :) Just be prepared for a haze until you get that off with a paper-towel and some alcohol.

I normally do that to remove all the 'warehouse gunk' that some of these chassis have from being transported, and stored in not so clean environments.

I'm sure you could take it a step further and buff them out to make them shine again even LOL :D
Is the alcohol for me or the chassis? (LOL as I sip on some imported Puerto Rican rum a co-worker had his wife bring in for me as a thank you).

Really the only "clean up" I need to do is remove some old sticker residue on the front (and some magic marker it looks like), otherwise it's in good shape. Some metal is a little bent or scratched here and there, but nothing I would think twice about had I seen it in a datacenter. Assuming everything works, then I can't speak highly enough about the folks at CertifiedServers on Ebay.

Reactions: T_Minus

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
HotFix,

I'm glad everything worked out as well as it did. The first time I ordered a used Supermicro chassis I got an 846 backplane with 24 SATA connectors and dual PWS-902-1R power supplies that acted more like a jet engine room heater. It didn't matter that I wasted money on loud, hot equipment because I was hooked. I fell in love with the build quality and ease of use. I've got four SMs (3x SC846 + 1x SC826), all with 80 Plus supplies and 2 of the 4 are running the SAS2 backplanes with SFF-8087 connectors into reflashed M1015 HBAs. Two SAS cables instead of 24 SATA! My boxes run like Peterbuilt trucks thanks to the knowledge shared by the members on this board.
...squirrel...!!!
Back to the power supplies... I had called SM about swapping out the 902's for a pair of 920P's (80 Plus Platinum) and they said the 920P's wouldn't fit. Lies!!! I did some digging on this board and found a few posts about swapping supplies and the different pinouts on different supplies. The 902's pins (tabs) are slightly different compared to the 920P's, but all the 80 Plus supplies I've tried as replacements worked without any issues.

What are you going using for power protection? I've got an APC SurgeArrest PM hooked directly into my electrical panel and two 20 Amp circuits, each powering one APC SmartXL UPS unit. Really, I only needed one circuit, but as long as the electrician was running one, why not run two?

Last edited: