X10SDV - IPMI problem sensor reading

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Hello,
I have a Supermicro X10SDV and upon browsing its IPMI webpage I notice that there are no sensors reading under the server health. In the columns Readings it says "not present" and for status, "N/A". It is the same for all the sensors.
I tried to get back to default setting, but without luck (by the way, the IPMI IP address wasn't reseted with this process... strange).
Cheers,

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Is the board up/running with an OS? If not the sensors will appear as you described. For some reason SM IPMI doesn't activate the sensors with the CPU down or even running in a BIOS menu state. For some of the sensors this makes sense because they have to be read from the running CPU (CPU temp, etc.). But the fans and some other sensors are monitored by the BMC and could be made available - but they are not.

If it is up and running with an OS and still doesn't show any sensor values you might try resetting the BMC. Select "Maintenance->Unit Reset".

If that doesn't help re-flash the IPMI firmware.

Having checked all that, if it still won't show any sensor readings, it might be time to contact SM support.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
As PigLover says, boot it up into an OS first.

Best quick choice would be a linux distro of some sort that contains ipmitool - you can inspect the sensors from there directly and reset the IPMI too if you wish.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Thanks ! I haven't any OS booted, so that might explain this situation. Strange, but at least I know it is a nominal issue ;)

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
Installed FreeNAS on a nvme ssd to test, I get access to temp.
Thanks a lot !