X10SDV flex ATX heatsinks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I just got my 4th X10SDV flex-ATX board. This time it was 4C-7TP4F, with LSI 9216.

It appears that they've updated the heatsink to deal with the temperature issues people have found. I know this one is a bit different because it has the SAS chip - but the CPU heatsink is about 2.5x taller than the one on the earlier boards I received. All of the boards I am using are "4C" models (D1518 4 core).

I didn't think to post this until after I got it all buttoned up in a chassis so no photos for now. Hopefully I'll have time to open it up and take a shot to post sometime soon.

GaveUp

Apr 11, 2016
I was wondering this myself. I was quite worried I'd idle hot after seeing what other people were posting, but I'm idling ~57C and under load it'll go up to ~80C. The 80C seems kind of hot, but maybe it isn't. I was thinking about bugging someone with a 3D printer to print up something I could use to mount a fan on top.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I Guess that means adding a fan on top makes its a bit harder ?

Apr 13, 2016
Texas
What kind of temp issues are people having with these?
My airshroud will be delivered on Monday, but I have tested my system this weekend without a shroud. Running a handbrake job converting an MKV file will utilize all cores of the CPU, and I saw the CPU temperature stick in the mid 80's. After finishing and letting the system just handle file serving, Temps dropped back to the high 60's. I am hoping to see much better results with the shroud in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
My airshroud will be delivered on Monday, but I have tested my system this weekend without a shroud. Running a handbrake job converting an MKV file will utilize all cores of the CPU, and I saw the CPU temperature stick in the mid 80's. After finishing and letting the system just handle file serving, Temps dropped back to the high 60's. I am hoping to see much better results with the shroud in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
What case/cooling did you use to get those temps and what shroud did you purchase

Apr 13, 2016
Texas
What case/cooling did you use to get those temps and what shroud did you purchase
Hi IamSartacus,

I am using a tower case, referenced in my build thread at X10SDV-4C-7TP4F (Xeon D-1518) Build. The shroud I ordered is MCP-310-49002-0N which is adjustable, but for the tower chassis. If I understand correctly from your build, you're using much denser chassis than I am.

Hopefully this helps.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Hi IamSartacus,

I am using a tower case, referenced in my build thread at X10SDV-4C-7TP4F (Xeon D-1518) Build. The shroud I ordered is MCP-310-49002-0N which is adjustable, but for the tower chassis. If I understand correctly from your build, you're using much denser chassis than I am.

Hopefully this helps.
Thanks for the details. I'm using two different setups that I can speak to with regard to my temperature results.

1. I have two of the X10SDV-7TP4F's (Xeon D-1537) in iStarUSA 2U chassis' where I installed 2 x SuperMicro 80mm FAN-0044L4 fans. On one of the 80mm fans is an attached plastic duct that goes from the fan straight to the heatsink (about 1-1.5" away from it). And then behind the heatsink I have a Noctua 60mm PWM fan pulling the air off the heatsink.

I've gone back and forth between two fan speed modes in these chassis' as they are my heavy computing nodes. If I set the fan speed to HeavyIO, I'm seeing idle temps around 58-60C with full load temps in the low 80's. If I set the fan speed to full speed I see idle temps around 50C and full load temps in the 73-75C range.

2. I also have an X10SDV-4C-7TP4F (Xeon D-1518) in this 4U iStarUSA chassis that comes with 3 x 120mm fans blowing right at the board/CPU. The fans are not PWM so they run 100% all the time. I then have 2 x 60mm fans as exhaust. I'm seeing idle temps in the low to mid 50's (52-55C) and load temps will get into the low 70's.

Keep in mind that all of this is sitting in a fully enclosed rack with just 2 x 120mm exhaust fans at the top and no climate control in the room. Also in the rack is a 10Gb switch, and my pfSense firewall.

Also, I have an X10SDV-2C-7TP4F (Xeon D-1508) that should be here tomorrow that I'm putting in this 3U iStarUSA case so I will see what kind of temps I get throwing that in my rack as well. Though this will be just a backup server for my main storage array so 95% of the time it will be idle with the HDD's spun down.

I'm interested though so see how well the shroud helps your temps as I'd love my temps to come down some.

Apr 13, 2016
Texas
Thanks for the details. I'm using two different setups that I can speak to with regard to my temperature results.

2. I also have an X10SDV-4C-7TP4F (Xeon D-1518) in this 4U iStarUSA chassis that comes with 3 x 120mm fans blowing right at the board/CPU. The fans are not PWM so they run 100% all the time. I then have 2 x 60mm fans as exhaust. I'm seeing idle temps in the low to mid 50's (52-55C) and load temps will get into the low 70's.

I'm interested though so see how well the shroud helps your temps as I'd love my temps to come down some.
Gotcha - you've got an awesome setup there! That 4U is similar to my setup in regards to air being pre-heated by drives, along with airflow impedance, but I have two fans behind the backplane pulling air, and one exhaust fan... My goals were more geared towards quiet. :) I'll definitely post my results after installing the shroud. I missed the FedEx guy by 30 minutes on Friday, otherwise I'd already have results to post. I expect to get it delivered today, and will install this evening.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Gotcha - you've got an awesome setup there! That 4U is similar to my setup in regards to air being pre-heated by drives, along with airflow impedance, but I have two fans behind the backplane pulling air, and one exhaust fan... My goals were more geared towards quiet. :) I'll definitely post my results after installing the shroud. I missed the FedEx guy by 30 minutes on Friday, otherwise I'd already have results to post. I expect to get it delivered today, and will install this evening.
My #1 goal was quiet as well which is why I don't like having to run my two 2U chassis' with the fans at full speed. If the shrouds make a big difference I'd like to pick a couple up so I can lower my fan speeds and quiet down my rack because the difference between full speed and heavyIO is significant.

I'm anxious to see your results ;)

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've got the "new" board mounted in a SuperMicro 2U without any air shroud. The temps are still too high even with the larger heatsink (55c BIOS-idle, 50c OS-idle and 64c running single-threaded memtest86+ which is basically 100% load on one core).

It appears that this board needs fairly direct airflow, even with the new heatsink. With the smaller heatsink mounted in a SM 1U case adding the shroud dropped temps by 20c across the board (both idle and active). I'm not convinced SMs normal 2U plastic shroud would do the trick here so I'm thinking through options, perhaps a custom shroud or duct of some kind.

I also noted that the LSI-9216 is reporting 65c with absolutely no disk activity. A bit concerned about that too.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Agree direct airflow is a must. I admit I haven't really checked what my LSI2116 temps are. However my 2nd 80mm fan is blowing directly over the heatsink for it so I'm hoping that is sufficient. Not sure what's the best way to do that from within VMware.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I don't know how you'd get it from VMware (you probably can - I just don't use it). I read the temps directly from the IPMI web interface.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Check that. Rechecked this evening. Its not "peripheral temp". The sensor is "SAS2 Temp".