X10SDV-8C+-LN2F Rev 2.00 doesn't power on but BMC is OK

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
Hello,

I have some issue with my X10SDV-8C+-LN2F Rev 2.00 motherboard, it doesn't power on.
BMC is still working, I can see the web page and I can also SSH to it but I cannot login because I don't have the password and I cannot reset it either if the motherboard cannot boot some OS from what I read.

I tested it with 2 power supplies and same issue, no power on, BMC OK.

I disabled the VGA, I disabled the LAN, I reset the CMOS and I replaced the CR2032 battery with a new one.
This motherboard has the active cooler that connects to the FAN header near it and cable is short and I cannot connect it to another FAN header like others reported to only be connected to "FANA" header.

Does anyone know how to reset the BMC password without booting any OS? or if someone has the same motherboard with same issue?
I measured a fuse near the JF1 pin header and it is OK and at the power on pins on JF1 I have +3.3V measured with a multimeter.

Anything I can test? Are there any schematics for Supermicro boards that I can use to check voltages and do troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
Is anyone with a X10SDV motherboard using only the 4 pin 12V connector and can tell me if when you plug in the power brick the BMC is starting to work? Do you see any LEDs when 12V only is used without pushing the power on button just with power via 12V connected?

I plugged in the 12V connector only from an ATX PSU and on the 24 pin ATX connector is shorted the 2 pins to power on the PSU.
In this test case I don't see the BMC running, in fact I don't see anything running so either this is normal behavior or the 12V rail of this motherboard has an issue and I can start looking into this path to fix it.

Thanks!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
(I have the 2c version)

I think you need to use either the standard 24pin connector OR the other connector, mixing didn't work.There are some discussions about it on sth but I can't find them right now...

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
I tried them separately of course. First the ATX 24 pin and the 4 pin was empty and only the BMC is working.
Second try was to remove the 24 pin ATX and connect only the 4 pin connector and on the 24 pin ATX one (which I had in my hand) I shorted the 2 pins to power on the PSU manually. This test failed completely since there is no LED blinking at all, not even the BMC one.

So I want to know if someone is using only the 12V 4 pin connector on the X10SDV how it behaves.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
could it be because you don't connect the cables to front control panel (jf1) correctly ??

and...the manual is talking about 4pin 12V DC. not about 4pin ATX.
my guess...maybe you broke some connectors (or electrical paths inside pcb) when you were forcing wrong type of connector ??

my another guess....did you try with only 24pin ATX ??

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
could it be because you don't connect the cables to front control panel (jf1) correctly ??
I didn't connect any cables from JF1. I am only shorting the "power on" pins to power on the MB.

and...the manual is talking about 4pin 12V DC. not about 4pin ATX.
my guess...maybe you broke some connectors (or electrical paths inside pcb) when you were forcing wrong type of connector ??
4 pin 12V DC is the additional CPU connector on the ATX PSUs. There are also some adapters that use the same 4 pin CPU connector and have it soldered to the standard 5.5/2.5mm barrel connector to be used with a power brick. It is the same thing, no difference. You cannot fit another connector or maybe someone can with a hammer but I didn't do this. :)

my another guess....did you try with only 24pin ATX ??
Yes, of course I did, read carefully my explanation. I mainly test with 24 pin ATX connector but I am thinking that maybe some components are faulty and not all voltages from the ATX connector are OK so that's why I said to try the 12V DC only. I will search for the datasheets of the power components near the ATX connector to see if I can narrow down what they are and what voltages they should output. Maybe one of them is broken and doesn't give the correct voltage output or maybe is shorted internally.

I am looking for some schematic like boardview files for more in depth troubleshooting but I cannot find anything on the net for this board.