X10SDV-4C-TLN2F $229.90

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
... am pondering taking a gamble with the bifucration support to see if I can make this work in a build I'm planning.
Reminder: Just because the BIOS offers the bi/tri/quadfurcation selections, it is not a guarantee that Supermicro actually implemented it for your specific mobo (version/sub-version). Witness the snafu that users of the X9DRI-F faced (prior to the eventual fix in BIOS 3.4).
e.g.: Link1 & Link2.
I hope the above was a singular isolated case ...

Reactions: itronin
Jul 14, 2017
Are you talking about the board in this thread? I'm not sure how you physically fit two x8 slots on an mITX board.
I have the X10SDV-4C-7TP4F

It's actually a "flexATX".

Since the question was about the bifurcation options.The lack of any mention of the bifurcation options in my manual + the two x8 slots lining up with what was in the manual for bifurcation options in yours, I thought it was a good indication of the situation.

Reactions: itronin

derrley

Aug 4, 2021
@itronin Happy to! I've been lurking in here long enough. It is only right that I actually help someone else for a change.

I have the X10SDV-4C-TLN2F with active cooling, and 2.1 bios from 2019 flashed by the previous owner.

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 12.33.16 PM.jpg

To satisfy my curiosity -- what are you planning to do with that split? That's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@itronin Happy to! I've been lurking in here long enough. It is only right that I actually help someone else for a change.

I have the X10SDV-4C-TLN2F with active cooling, and 2.1 bios from 2019 flashed by the previous owner.
thanks for the confirmation from the BIOS.

To satisfy my curiosity -- what are you planning to do with that split? That's an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of.
See the build that @maes posted. similar motherboard to this thread but wanted confirmation on this specific board (just in case)

I'm not building exactly the same but pretty similar.
Since this board already has 10gbe I'm not adding another nic (even thopugh I'd prefer sfp+), but I do have the c_payne riser and I'm clearly going to need to augment airflow with that 10gbe heatsink.

derrley

Aug 4, 2021
See the build that @maes posted. similar motherboard to this thread but wanted confirmation on this specific board (just in case)
Cool. I hadn't seen that riser before. I should point out that this board has onboard m.2, but it is SATA-only.

Since this board already has 10gbe I'm not adding another nic (even thopugh I'd prefer sfp+), but I do have the c_payne riser and I'm clearly going to need to augment airflow with that 10gbe heatsink.
For what it's worth: I had heat issues when I switched to this board. I switched from an X7SPA with a 12W processor and no space heater PHY. It was running fine in a case with minimal airflow. While the heat from the PHY and the Xeon-D were never out of control, I think the extra heat was enough to increase my drive temps to ~60C. I've since had to ditch that case for one with higher airflow.

That's all to say: keep a holistic picture in mind when it comes to airflow. This board definitely generates heat, and in small enclosures, that heat has to go somewhere!

arnbju

Mar 13, 2013
I should point out that this board has onboard m.2, but it is SATA-only.
Are you sure? Spec sheet and the manual says NVME and SATA.
Manual said:
The X10SDV series deploy an M key only dedicated for SSD devices with the ultimate performance capability in a PCI Express 3.0 X4 interface for native PCIe SSD support. The X10SDV M.2 is mux with the I-SATA0 port for legacy SATA SSD devices.
SpecSheet said:
M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 (SATA support), M Key 2242/2280

R30730

Aug 20, 2020
I’ll preface by saying I have the 8C version, but I have been using NVMe drives on the included m2.

@itronin would be keen to see your end result if you go with the UNAS case!

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I’ll preface by saying I have the 8C version, but I have been using NVMe drives on the included m2.

@itronin would be keen to see your end result if you go with the UNAS case!
from my earlier post

won't be as nice or as dense as @maes (who is helping me out!) but I think I'll be pretty happy with it and will for sure post it in the builds section.

boards, memory, and some SSD's arrive today so I'll be testing those. Need to figure out some augmented air handling so still probably 8-10 weeks for full builds since I have work trip coming up mid sept.

derrley

Aug 4, 2021
I have not tried an nvme device -- I thought I had read that. I probably misread. Sorry to introduce FUD.