X10QBI and v3/v4 cpus (e.g. supermicro sys-4048b-trft)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
I have been through the posts multiple times but still can't figure out on the exact Lockstep settings to double (or significantly improve) the memory speed. I am running four Intel Xeon E7-8891 v3 procs. I have populated all blue slots in all 8 MemCards (Rev 1.01) with Samsung (32x8GB) [M393B1K70DH0-CK0] PC3-12800R modules. Could somebody be so kind and explain in detail on how to go about it?
hi, your physical slot configuration seems correct.

lockstep (a.k.a 1:1 mode) will HALVE your memory speed, not double it. what you want is independent (a.k.a. 2:1) mode. the option to do this should be located under your chipset settings > memory configuration > VMSE lockstep mode

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
I ran Passmark performance test, improvement was negligible. Shouldn't CPUz also show a higher frequency under the Memory tab? How do I verify the memory speed? What are you using? Thanks
im not sure.... most likely it doesn't show because you're not changing the frequency of each DIMM - you're just changing the number of channels the memory controller on each daughterboard uses to communicate with the CPU. if you are in 2:1 mode and you are confident the BIOS settings are being saved, then literally that's that.

at the amount of memory bandwidth you are having with all 8 channels populated for every CPU, it's not at all surprising to see little or not effect on performance. unless it's super super niche, applications don't make use of the full bandwidth.

for me personally, i found Geekbench (4 or 5, doesnt really matter) really picks apart the performance and really reflects the RAM bandwidth on one of its test metrics. so if anything i would use that. you will see almost perfect doubling of the memory benchmark compared to lockstep mode when you use geekbench. and not to sound like a grandma, but really, even if your geekbench memory score isn't 1st in the world, it really doesn't matter in terms of how fast it really is in real life applications - synthetic benchmarks are called synthetic for a reason. if you just care about practical application, don't get too hung-up on those scores.

haydin

Sep 17, 2021
Hi all,

I need a favor from one of u guys :)

I got an X10qbi from ebay but during transportation some capacitors at the back of the motherboard fall off:(, i found most of them in the box but some still missing.

Contacted with supermicro and they are not willing to help, they say they will not share that information with me, which is weird.

Anyway i need to know which caps go to which pad, i checked it already under a microscope and fit the ones to the pads i think they fall from by looking to the profile of the broken solders but need to be sure if i am correct.

so is there anyone who has this mobo on hand and can take a photo of the back right corner? (the place which you can see in the attached images), if anyone can help i will be really really glad, i dont want to power it up without these caps soldered(or soldered in wrong places, because they have 2 different color codes, yellow and brown) thanks in advance.

Attachments

DCswitch

Feb 17, 2022
Hi Jason,

Congratulations on being a proud owner of a new x10qbi

Unfortunately, no. The firmware is hard-coded to run the fans at a minimum of 50% speed and no raw IPMI commands will be obeyed. It is possible that this behaviour is only specific to BIOS versions newer than ~2019?? because many other people have reported raw IPMI working up until ~july 2020.

I do not know of any reliable source where u can get an old BIOS to flash. And if you have v3/v4 CPUs (and not v1/v2), u need the newest BIOS for maximum compatibility anyways.

The best bet is to get a fan controller and hook up only the fans' PWM wires to it. I know a guy who sells cheap-ish fan controllers with customisable curves, so if you are interested, u can msg me about that.
Know that some of your components aside from the CPU, especially the RAID card, require a large amount of airflow to cool otherwise it will malfunction. Depending on how much heat your CPUs generate, there will be a minimum to how low you can set the fan speeds before the CPUs simply get too hot.

But that being said, I have ziptied a cheap 40 mm fan to my raid card and my fans are running at 2000- 4000rpm these days and it's fine. Just be sure you know what you're doing!
@angel_bee

You mentioned messaging you about cheap-ish fan controllers, I'd like to give it go. Please send some info over when you can, I have a new (used) X10QBI and keeping it quiet is really important to me.

haydin

Sep 17, 2021
Hi there,

I got an X10QBI too but during transportation some capacitors at the back fall off in to the box. I want to solder them back but supermicro is not helping.

Is there anyone who can help me with rhis?

Just a photo of the backside should be enough for me to see which caps go to which solder pad.

Anyone can help?

Thanks in advance.

Hakan

DCswitch

Feb 17, 2022
Hi there,

I got an X10QBI too but during transportation some capacitors at the back fall off in to the box. I want to solder them back but supermicro is not helping.

Is there anyone who can help me with rhis?

Just a photo of the backside should be enough for me to see which caps go to which solder pad.

Anyone can help?

Thanks in advance.

Hakan

Attachments

DCswitch

Feb 17, 2022
It seems there is no bifurcation on this motherboard and I'm a bit shocked. I hope there is a new BIOS version that eventually adds it.

DCswitch

Feb 17, 2022
Good joke

This board is EOL.. And even when it wasn't, Supermicro never really cared about it
Not sure about the latter part, but Supermicro updates BIOS' enough in my experience that it could definitely happen. I have older SM boards with a newer a BIOS date.

And some with bifurcation, too!

DCswitch

Feb 17, 2022
I'm pulling my hair out with this server. Running MEM1 rev 1 RAM daughterboards.

For whatever reason, running TrueNAS with a 40G network connection I'm getting speeds that are abysmal. R/W coming in around 450 MB/s. Using all the same hardware except the X10Qbi motherboard on an older Supermicro server, we're getting around 1900 MB/s. I even tested the backplane on the X10Qbi and it's fine.

I've first started with E7-8891 v4 processors, but after all the headaches I purchased four E7-8891 v2 and nothing has changed.

Anyone else running TrueNAS? Can you please run a speed test?

Any ideas?

nickblack

Mar 7, 2023
just picked up 4x E7-8890v3s to throw in here for $60...i don't look forward to pulling up four waterblocks, but i've gotta have haswell